Looking for a college.

Relic123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photography has become my life's ambition and I hope to one do start my own business, but I have to start by finding a college. I was looking in the Fargo/Moorehead area in North Dakota/Minnesota Respectively for a college that had a major in photography and and minor in business. Any ideas or feedback on colleges in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the good schools in the nation:

Brooks - California
RIT - Rochester, NY
SVA - New York
Academy of Art - San Fransisco
Missouri School of Journalism
Rockport College - Maine
International Center of Photography - New York

Is the Ringling College of Art and Design any good? I know a few people that go there, but I don't know anything about the school or program. I only know Psych programs. ;)

If you want to be successful, owning your own business, then the business aspect of your education might be a lot more important than the Photography part.

If you want to be successful, owning your own business, then the business aspect of your education might be a lot more important than the Photography part.
My experience suggests otherwise. You can't learn business in college, but the contacts and related industry experience will come in very handy, esp. early on as you're getting started.

Iron may be right, however I wouldn't sell my business classes short either. I will graduate with a business minor and my business classes are very interesting. Although I have had a lot of experience with seeing how a business is run from growing up on a farm which I consider to be invaluable. So in short I agree with both Big Mike and Iron Flatline to a point.

I think it should be noted that there is not really a right way to go about it. I agree with Iron Flatline in that someones education in the business world will largely be away from the class room.

Being a professional photographer is different from being a doctor, lawyer or engineer...in that you don't actually have to go through all the school and become accredited. There are plenty of very good (and successful) photographers who have never taken a photography class, let alone have a degree. On the other hand, there are plenty of people with photography (arts) degrees and plenty of talent, but they can't run a business to save their lives.
And of course, there are plenty of people in between.

I do agree with most of you the business side is just as important as the photographic side, but I was looking for colleges in the North Dakota and Minnesota area. Does anyone go to college in this area for either business or an art major of any kind?
Thanks

I don't even think that you would necessarily have to major in photography. A general art degree with some photography classes mixed in might help you out just as much. Or minor in Art/Photography and get a degree in business. Thats what I would do. As Mike said its not out of the realm of possibilities to be a successful photographer by teaching yourself.

Rockport College?

Damn, I'm from Maine and I've never heard of there. Then again, I don't exactly venture to Rockport all that often. Hmm...I'll look into that.

Most reactions

Back