Looking for a decent Macro Lens

Not quite sure how that could be. All they do is change the minimum focus distance of the lens. There is no glass.

The Tamron 90mm 2.8 is very cheap and Excellent at the same time. I got mine for only £180, I couldn't be bothered with extension tubes or close up filters when I realised I could get a great macro lens this cheap.

At the price range your looking at I would put the Sigma 150mm f2.8 apo on your list. Or their 180mm variant. Known to be great lens. I have the token 100mm f2.8 macro and love it.

At the price range your looking at I would put the Sigma 150mm f2.8 apo on your list. Or their 180mm variant. Known to be great lens. I have the token 100mm f2.8 macro and love it.
I have the Sigma 180mm 1:3.5 APO Macro DG HSM, and totally LOVE IT.

I have heard nothing but praise for that lens. But they dont sell that lens for a Canon, do they?

I have heard nothing but praise for that lens. But they dont sell that lens for a Canon, do they?
They did when I bought mine. I've had it on 20D, 40D, 7D and 5DMKII - no special adapter or anything. Ordered it off Amazon in Feb of 2008: Amazon.com: Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG IF HSM APO Macro Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo though it looks like perhaps they discontinued the Canon mount on it sometime after I got mine?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sigma do make a canon mount 180mm macro lens. However Sigma have withdrawn the 180mm f3.5 macro lens in all mounts from the market. It's now been replaced with a 180mm f2.8 OS (similar to IS) macro.
The 150mm has also been replaced with a 150mm OS macro as has the 105mm as well.

Note that the new version are not jumping far ahead of the originals in terms of optical performance - so second hand or still held stock of the original versions is still worth considering if you're on budget.

I think after that, they release the 150mm and followed by 150mm OS lens

Edited: Overread said they have a newer 180mm now. Cool

Aye. Tubes have no glass. They do increase magnification. They are a reasonable place to start. Go with the Kenko AF brand. You won't regret it. After you are you want to make the jump into photographing insects, seriously consider the Sigma 150mm & 180mm, Tamrom 180mm, Canon 105L & 135L macro lenses. You simply cannot go wrong with any one of those lenses and all will function just fine with the ext tubes. Also consider that a teleconverter as I use a Simga APO EX 1.4x TC with my 150mm. No noticeable degrading of IQ.

DigitalRevTV has a comaprison of the Canon 100mm macro L vs non-L on their youtube channel

Last edited by a moderator:
Tokina 100 mm 2.8 pro d is solid. Compared with canon 2.8 regular 100mm and the tokina is very impressive with a price right at 500. No usm but optically and solid focus ring with af limiter. Here is a handheld shot with no processing. Provides 1:1 magnification. Also used the 11-16 tokina and very nice as well.

$image-2798979157.jpg

$image-3329036232.jpg

And here is another of a very patient mosquito hawk. Again hand held with no processing. Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro

Most reactions

Back