Looking for a dedicated camcorder.

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If this is in the wrong forum, please move it.

We just had a baby and I am getting tired of using my D7k for video so I am looking for a dedicated video platform. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I think I may budget about $200. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Here you are. :) Hopefully, you'll get some replies in this forum. Good luck with your search!

I thought about this forum but I didn't know if it fit.

Ever since smart phones have been able to capture HD video the consumer camcorder market has been dying fast.

Think about it your kid is about to do something cute or take its first steps and you miss it because you had to run and grab the camcorder, in the time it takes you to get it you may easily miss the moment. And you definitely will miss the moment if once you grab it you realize that you forgot to charge the battery.

Your going to have your smart phone with you already.

My iPhone takes better video then any consumer camcorder I ever had. Plus im able to share it within minutes.

Yes, I use my iPhone for those quick moments, but what do you do when you are at a school play or at a basketball game? There is no way my iPhone 4S will do better than a dedicated HD camcorder.

Something like the Sony HX9V for about your price range takes nice video (only going by the video I posted a link to below). I personally prefer tape based cams like the HV20 or HV30 and you may be able to pick up a refurb. Both of mine are refurb and work great. I like the tape based for archival purposes. But the Sony HX9V does a good job for a compact & price. Here is a video on Vimeo that was shot on that Sony & a GoPro. (If you find a camera you are interested in just search Vimeo to see samples.)

Sorry, the video I was going to embed isn't allowed. Just search Vimeo for the camera type.

Yes, I use my iPhone for those quick moments, but what do you do when you are at a school play or at a basketball game? There is no way my iPhone 4S will do better than a dedicated HD camcorder.

I disagree. I get just as good if not better results from my iPhone for everything that I used to use a consumer camcorder for. If you want anything more then that's when you use a professorial video camera or a DSLR

Most reactions

Back