Looking for a lense to nikon d5300

Eirik.Strand1996

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi, am just about to buy my first dslr and i am going for Nikon D3500, but am not sure what lense what is best for not to much money.
think i want 35-50 or prime lense but i want a lense with a good picture quality for the d5300.
hope someone can help me :)

The Nikkor 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 G-series primes are very good lenses.

Those are all consumer grade lenses.
The better lenses are professional grade, but the better lenses, even the prosumer grade lenses, cost quite a bit more.

Camera Lenses
Good picture quality is more about photographer knowledge and skill than it being about what camera/lens is used.
Light direction and quality have a a lot to do with if a photo is pleasing, or not.
In many shooting situations on or off camera flash or some other form of supplimental lighting is needed to have good light quality and direction.
Making the Most of Natural Light in Photography

Visual art composition is also knowledge needed to consistently make quality photographs.
10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad
18 Composition Rules For Photos That Shine :: Digital Photo Secrets
Principles of Photography Composition

Last edited:
hi, am just about to buy my first dslr and i am going for Nikon D3500, ..........

Let's clarify what camera you want.... there is no D3500.

D5300 maybe? Or D3300?

As the D5300 does not have a focus motor in the body, any AF and AF-D series lenses will not autofocus. You will need a lens with AF-S in the designation of the lens.

Either one of those will autofocus.

"think i want 35-50 or prime lense"
maybe you should also consider a zoom lens such as a Tamron 17-50/2.8
I've heard good things about those for flexibility from this forum (but I use FX cameras not DX), maybe someone else could give options in that range.

"think i want 35-50 or prime lense"
maybe you should also consider a zoom lens such as a Tamron 17-50/2.8
I've heard good things about those for flexibility from this forum (but I use FX cameras not DX), maybe someone else could give options in that range.
I shot the Tamron 17-50 2.8 on my d7100, loved it. Great lens, very versatile and the image quality was fantastic.

To the op, they made several different versions of the tamron 17-50 so if you look for one make sure you get one with the built in focus motor. The d5300 doesn't have a focus motor built into the body.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Both Tamron and Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 are great lenses and not too expensive.
Nikon 50mm 1.8G and Nikon 35mm 1.8G are both fantastic lenses, super sharp good for low light situation too.
Main thing is that the 35mm will be more for street photography and full body portrait while the 50mm can do both but also head shots, doing head shots with the 35mm is really not recommended.
I would recommend the Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 as they bring more flexibility and offer good sharp results and at f2.8 you can use it in any light situation.

When I purchased my D60 (and kit 18-55 / 55-200 lenses) my first lens was the Nikon 35mm 1.8G. It is a very sharp lens and I soon stopped using my kit lenses. An added benefit was being a prime lens I found myself thinking a lot more about composition.

Lens aside I would not buy the D5300 were I you. The D5300 (like my old D60) cannot auto focus with the older Nikon Lenses. Moving up to a D7000 series will save you money in the long run. I myself purchased a D300 six months ago (for $200) when my D60 broke. (My next camera will likely be the D700 and I have no issues with 12.6 megapixels). The money I saved on the camera was spent on a Nikon 60mm F2.8 D lens which on a D5300 does not work in auto focus. That lens is just one example and how I wish someone explained this to me when I purchased my D60.

QUOTE="Eirik.Strand1996, post: 3657532, member: 213500"]hi, am just about to buy my first dslr and i am going for Nikon D3500, but am not sure what lense what is best for not to much money.
think i want 35-50 or prime lense but i want a lense with a good picture quality for the d5300.
hope someone can help me :)[/QUOTE]

Most reactions

Back