Looking for a little advice on shooting new born

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so my wife is past due and they have scheduled to induce her this Thursday evening for a Friday birth. I am renting a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 to shoot on my F100 with Kodak Tri-x. I was thinking of pushing the film two stops to 1600 but will that be enough for a lowish light delivery room? I can meter a head of time as well and adjust if I need to. Also I was wondering if I should be metering for the shadows or highlights with B&W?

I guess I am just looking for some advice, any and all.

Dont pass out! ;)

Make a list of " poses" you want. My baby girl is a month old already seems like yesterday I was taking photos in the delivery room. Renting a lens seems a little excessive and using new techniques I would use something tried and tested. I was popping flashes in there lol.

I don't own a lens wide enough for shooting in a small room and the 24-70mm is only $30 a day :)

I was wondering if I should be metering for the shadows or highlights with B&W?
The old rule of thumb is; with film, expose for the shadows, and with digital, expose for the highlights.

If your highlights are too bright, you can dodge them while printing.

Don't assume the delivery room will be super dark, honestly. Doctors like to see...so the big show will probably have more light than you think. Leading up to it might be darker, though, depending on your wife's preferences.

There isn't much of a learning curve with a lens. The only likely issue is that a shallow DOF tends to bring to surface front/back focus issues. Unfortunately you are unlikely to have time to develop a roll of film to find out if there are any issues.

I'm been at 3 births...
#1, not so dark because he held out til daytime and there were windows with semi-opaque curtains. I had ISO 3200 T-Max in the camera and a 50mm f/1.7 lens, but I don't know what aperture I was using or what shutter speed I was getting. This was with a midwife.
#2, 2 AM, very dark. ISO 3200 T-Max again, but pull processed to 1600. 50mm f/1.7 again. This was with a midwife. I remember the only light being from a bathroom with the door cracked.
#3, 12:30 AM, very dark. We're firmly into the digital era now. ISO 1600, 30mm f/1.4. Getting 1/30 sec for general room shots, jumping up to 1/2000 of baby on the work time (getting ready to rush him off to the NICU (7 weeks early). I think the doctor had a headlamp or something. The room was pretty darn dark.

My experience tells me that pushing to ISO 1600 (or even 3200 for a f/2.8 lens) could be a good idea. However you can decide this on-site when you see the room and have an idea when the moment will happen--just don't change your mind mid-roll. If she's laboring all night Thursday night then you probably won't get much sleep --so be careful not not forget what you went with, because you need to tell the lab!

Alright so my wife is past due and they have scheduled to induce her this Thursday evening for a Friday birth. I am renting a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 to shoot on my F100 with Kodak Tri-x. I was thinking of pushing the film two stops to 1600 but will that be enough for a lowish light delivery room? I can meter a head of time as well and adjust if I need to. Also I was wondering if I should be metering for the shadows or highlights with B&W?

I guess I am just looking for some advice, any and all.
With respect, give your wife and the medical team a break and ditch the camera. She'll probably appreciate your support far more than you geeking out with a camera. Delivery rooms are usually crowded with lots of moving parts. Plenty of time for post-delivery photography on her schedule.

With respect, Im glad I brought my camera. My wife works with the team, she works RT which goes to deliveries, and still wanted it ( the camera).

I even got an interesting photo of her co worker checking vitals immediately after birth.

Definitely agree put the camera down until it's appropriate to use! Take the shots, and put it downagain, spend some time with the new fam.

Perhaps asking if photos are wanted by Momis a good idea, as is true in most situations.

and ditch the camera
Yes and no, during labor there isn't much to shoot, and it isn't something your lady is likely to want to remember. BUT after the birth she will be focused on the baby and will not care what you are doing. They'll probably lay your baby up on her chest for a first hello. That's your moment, don't miss it.

Delivery room light could range from bright to super-bright...depends...I was in a delivery room, when my son was born. When the doc lifted the baby up, the operating lights were SUPER-intensely bright!

I'd just meter it and go for a proper exposure. Enjoy the moment, there will be time for plenty of pictures later; I'd think a small number on the day would be enough. Well, til after the delivery anyway, and if she and the baby are doing good, then get the photos. I mean, she isn't going anywhere, lol, not right away; look at Jon's picture of his wife, one delightful photo says it all.

Congratulations!!!!
As far as advice shooting a new born. Personally I'd wait till the your baby is all cleaned up. Can't tell you how many rolls of film I have processed at the lab with gooey gross covered baby's on them and don't even get me started on the shots of "as they come out"......Yack!
But hey, those Dad's were in the moment. I wish you and your wife a healthy happy baby. And if I were shooting this I'd just go for Delta 3200 and Kodak X-Tol. I've shot that film up to 25000 and got good results.

Thanks everyone!

The wife wants me to take some photos but of course I wont be buried behind the camera at all. She doesn't want any of the actual labor either. Just some snaps before and after the baby has been cleaned up and brought back to us

Most reactions

Back