Looking for a MF film scanner

jstuedle

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.picture-daddy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are there any good MF scanners out there at a price point under the Nikon cool scan 8000 or 9000. I don't mind it being a little slower than these two, but I want good quality.

Whoa, John, you're ready to put up the big money? :)

I use an Epson Perfection 4990, which scans from 35mm up to 8x10. True, it's not a dedicated MF or LF scanner but it does a very good job for a fraction of a MF scanner.

1) Cheaper scanners are faster, not slower. I scan regularly on a SCS 9000. On the highest resolution settings, it takes 45 minutes to scan a single 6x9 chrome.

2) You could try looking at the Minolta dimage line. IIRC they're a bit cheaper than Nikon.

i use the epson 2450, it's a flatbed with a medium format scanner in it

I'll add that flatbeds can be acceptable at best. Buy one as a last resort if you're serious about the quality of your negative scans.

I know this is the film side of TPF, but I am going to either get a decent MF scanner, or a used 16 MP bac . I am looking at 1K as opposed to 4-5K. This all depends on if the deal on the Hassy system goes through or not. I haven't shot film much since '99. I am leaning towards the scanner, but it scares the hell out of me that 120 film is getting more and more scarce. I used to buy it at Wal-mart, Walgreen's, and the corner photo shop. I now need to order it online. APS film is easier to get around here than 120. That is the only reason I am even looking on epay for a back. Decisions, decisions. (and no, I'm not independently wealthy, just in debt)

Well, (deep subject) I think I've decided on a film scanner. If I can find a very good Nikon LS 8000 on ePay, that will be it. I am currently bidding on a "lightly used" one - Item number: 230148005924
I guess cost made the decision for me. Thanks for all your input.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes. Obviously Mitca is not as late to my party as I am. I set a $1200 max. and came in a little under. It included the glass 120 film holder that is an option. About a $300 option. My only alternative was either wait until another complete 8000 came up, or spring for a new 9000. Either way I would need to spring for the glass carrier. Considering the options, I think it was a fair price.

Well, the scanner arrived yesterday. Had a gig to shoot yesterday, but had a little time to play with it today. Works great, 6X6 negs give me a 82 meg TIFF file, and every detail is there. But the thing is HUGE! Got to make room on my desk for it. Another project. Gee, add that to the bottom of the "honey do" list.

Post something that you scanned with it. :-D

OK, here is the first MF scan with the new scanner. This was shot a while back on Fuji 400 120. Scanned at 4000 DPI resulting in a 9000X9000 file, resized to 640 SQ. for posting.

5135-Image3-2-web.jpg

This is a actual crop from the full size file. It was not resized.

5135-I
5135-Image3-2a-web.jpg

If you want to see another area in the image let me know. I see a lot of grain but considering the crop I think it's reasonable. This neg. printed well at 16X20.

Yes, and thanks for asking. We have the scanner, got the Blads last week, now I just need a break in the 100 degree heat to get very busy on the studio. Hopefully it will come together by mid fall.

Most reactions

Back