Looking for a mid-range digital camera ($300-$500).

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the last 3 years I've been using a Kodak EasyShare Z885 (KODAK EASYSHARE Z885 Zoom Digital Camera). I take a TON of photos, but I don't consider myself a "professional" or anything of the sort. I do, however, want a camera that has some more features than just "point and click." I'm looking for something that has good optical zoom (at least 20x), performs well in low-light conditions, and can take rapid photos of in-motion subjects. I'm open to any brands, but I'd like to keep it well-known (no totally obscure manufacturers). I'd really prefer not to go over $500. I'm really trying to take that transition to the "next level" above random amateur photography, but I'd like easing into it. Any suggestions?

Canon Rebel XS with 18-55mm kit lens. It's a great camera.

$300-$500 is not a midrange digital camera price, it is a high end P&S camera or a low end dslr.

There are plenty of p&s cameras that offer the choice of camera setting, google Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Sony, etc...

The least expensive, new, entry-level dSLR including a basic kit zoom lens is about $500.

Mid-range dSLR's run from $1500 to $2500 without a lens and top-of-the-line pro dSLRs run $4500 to $7000 (no lens).

Then there are the medium format pro cameras, and they range up to $40,000 or so.

Nikon D3000 with the 18-55 is $500.

Thanks for the suggestions and setting me straight, guys! I've heard a lot of good things about the Canon Rebel XS, so I will probably check that out. Is there any place that you can get particularly good deals on cameras? I notice that the Rebel is around $550 MSRP, but I've had people tell me I could find it for around $300! What's the secret?

Thanks for the suggestions and setting me straight, guys! I've heard a lot of good things about the Canon Rebel XS, so I will probably check that out. Is there any place that you can get particularly good deals on cameras? I notice that the Rebel is around $550 MSRP, but I've had people tell me I could find it for around $300! What's the secret?
There is no secret. Only used ones can be gotten for $300, but some places offer refurbished units (Adorama) for a bit less than new pricing.

There are some really good, reputable online sellers like www.bhphotovideo.com (best on the planet), www.adorama.com, www.amazon.com (as long as amazon or a reputable seller fulfill the order), www.buydig.com (the online arm of Beach Camera).

You can check out online stores reputations at www.resellerratings.com.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back