looking for a name for a type of photography sequence.

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, a guy at my work just got a new camera and is exstatic with it and taking photos. so he's been in my office half a dozen times in the last two days lol. So he was trying to get photos of his daugter where basically he stiched a dozen photos of her together to show her picting a softball. basically a dozen shots of her going across the screen in the motion of pitching. He was wanting to know if there is a specific name for this type of shot and I wasn't sure but told him I would find out for him. He was also wanting to know if there were any programs out there to make making this type of photo more easily. I talked to him about like the diving photos in the olympics how theyd show the dive. but this was a little bit diffrent being that she really didnt move much motion wise, just more her arm as she threw the ball.

Sequential photography.... basically! I used to shoot these with on bulb with a strobe, and have all the sequences in a single photo. You can also sequence them in PS....

Cool idea. He sounds like a cool dad.

I think that stroboscopic photography is when you use multiple bursts of light from a flash/strobe to create multiple exposures. That would be much harder to do outdoors, as opposed to indoors (or maybe at night) where the flash is the only major source of light.

yeah, in his case since she's pitching he I believe will have to do seperate pics, doing bulb with flash would likely get a nicely blurred image since she's not moving across the viewfinder screen.

I think that stroboscopic photography is when you use multiple bursts of light from a flash/strobe to create multiple exposures. That would be much harder to do outdoors, as opposed to indoors (or maybe at night) where the flash is the only major source of light.

I believe that is correct... I used to use this technique back in the film days. It can be done during the day if you have a powerful enough strobe/strobes.

The term Sequential photography encompasses both this technique, and the multiple image type shot described above (usually shot with a high FPS), which then could be sequenced in post if desired.

Burst-mode.

The higher the burst rate of the camera the better, say at least 6 FPS and up. You don't say what camera he got.

You need a lot of light so the shutter speed can be short enough to stop the pitchers throwing arm when it's moving the fastest.

A good steady tripod will be required. A 20lb bag of steel shot draped over the top of the camera helps a lot to damp mirror slap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back