Looking for a new 70-200 f/2.8 telephoto lens for D7000

bastian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm on the hunt for a new 70-200mm f/2.8 telephoto lens for my D7000, Im pretty much only looking at f/2.8 lenses and I want one that I hopefully can keep me happy for at least a year and then I might move up to FX.

From what I've been looking on so far, here is the short list:

Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM (new)
This is the lens Im leaning towards right now, the newest update from Sigma in the 70-200mm range with the same good AF as the old version but with an updated IQ which puts it on top of my list. Since its new it comes with warranty though there is not many reviews of it out there but the ones I've found is talking well about it for DX though not as well for FX.
Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D (new)
I've rented this one for the Melbourne F1 GP and its a really nice lens, the build quality is heavy and it feels like you can use it as a hammer then just put it back on the camera to continue snapping with it. The downside is that there is no VR/OS, the AF is not supposed to be the best though still good and the price is not far from the Sigma though it is a Nikkor lens and you know that it will be working with your camera for hopefully years and years.
Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S (used)
Well renowned lens that I've heard been called one of Nikkors best lenses through out the years, great optics, great AF though it is still quite expensive and rare to find used ones for sale.

I've also looked at these but decided against them:

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APOMacro HSM II
Has got a really good AF but is apparently lacking in the IQ
Tamron 70-200mm 1:2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro
Opposite of Sigma, good IQ and lacking in the AF department
Nikon AF-S f/2.8 70-200mm VR
Good lens for DX though still quite rare finding a used one and going for more than AU$1700 unless your lucky finding a cheaper used one.
Nikon AF-S f/2.8 70-200mm VR II
Really good lens but I've faced it that its beyond my price point and Its not really needed to pay this much for me to still be able to evolve as a photograph.

What Im mainly going to do with the lens is portraits, low light outdoor shots and I want to start shooting more indoor/outdoor sports.

Does anyone have any more pros and cons? What would you have done in my situation?

If I was going to drop $1400 on a Sigma, I'd get the Nikon VR. But the Sigma HSM II is a good lens on the D7000. I've been using it for sports and picked one up for $600, it's served me well. I have no plans to upgrade.

I have the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APOMacro HSM II on a D80 and have been absolutely thrilled with it. It is fantastic in low light. The build quality is extremely good as well. I can only imagine that the OS version would impove upon my version.

I think you will be very please with the Sigma!

I use the 80-200mm f2.8 AF-S and love it.

It's better optically then the 70-200mm VR1, although the focus speed isn't quite as good as the newer AF-S lenses. I'd place it between the two-ring AF-D and newer AFS lenses in focus speed.

BTW: when you search for reviews of the 80-200mm AF-S you will most likely happen upon a negative review on youtube, which is very misinforming--most rate this lens as the best of the 80-200mm.

Also, if most your work is studio/portrait, you might want to consider the older single ring version of the 80-200mm, they sell for half what the only slightly better focusing dual ring version goes for and are optically just as good.

I might be able to get a used nikkor 80-200mm AF-S for around US$800-900, is that a good price for it or should I save up some more and get the 70-200mm VR I for around $1500?

I might be able to get a used nikkor 80-200mm AF-S for around US$800-900, is that a good price for it or should I save up some more and get the 70-200mm VR I for around $1500?

$900 is an average price for the AF-S version. $800 is a very good deal.

The 80-200mm is reported to be a bit better optically then the 70-200mm vr1, although I'm sure any difference is slim.

What you buy depends on how much VR a tiny bit of extra focus speed is worth to you.

Most reactions

Back