Looking for a Portable, Powerful Light System: What to get?

Kauz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

Lets see the input I can get from you on this one.

I'm looking for a lighting set up that can do the following for me:

- Portable : For portraits all over town, from athletes to bands, and even quick *shudder* for-hire portraits
- Powerful : A two light and power pack that can throw light for snowboard and other action sports sequences
- Fast : I'm trying to strobe these sports sequences (a basic two, light set up for swimming and volleyball, obviously you'd ideally have 4, but an expandable system might cover this in the future)
- Durable : if I'm taking these everywhere, it needs to be durable. Nuff said.

So who has tips?

I'm obviously looking to balance cost versus all of these things. I've looked at the Elinchrom Ranger AS but I worry about the power output being assymetrical. I looked at the Paul Buff Einsteins but worry they aren't powerful enough or won't refresh fast enough being self-contained. Profoto seems way too expensive. Help??

I've looked at Speedotrons, particularly because I know they're the industry "Standard" for arena lighting, and the black line would give power, but would it be versatile?

The elinchrom is weather proof though and includes a battery powered pack as opposed to having a battery ran to a pack ran to your heads. It'll be a bit less cumbersome and probably better for your situation. You could always look at monolights with a small battery attached to the stand or the head itself. Refresh rate will become a problem with most lights that are ran off a battery, especially if youre running something that requires more power. It takes forever for my 1200w/s blackline pack to refresh running off an Innovatronix Tronix Explorer XT SE battery.

Some reviews:
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed Studio Lighting and Flash Review
Review: Elinchrom Ranger RX « General « EdwardHor.com
Confessions of a Photographer » Blog Archive » RSO – a Review (Sort Of) – Elinchrom Ranger AS Speed

I am sold on the Einsteins, personally. I had the opportunity to play with them with a photographer friend in arizona and they truly impressed me. I can't say I put their recycle time to the test, but for power output that is a lot of light for a single light. I certainly didn't ever have to max out the power on it. I wasn't in the dark, but not in the greatest light by any means.

Honestly for portability? I am a David Hobby fan with the speedlights. Especially for some of the things you mention-specifically the snowboard and sports stuff. Those suckers can pack a punch and they can be stuck ANYWHERE to give you light in the coolest ways.
I am not sure I am sold on Hobby's cheapie favorite, but a lot of people are. I'd like to have about 4 Canon 580EX II's, but I don't see the money tree bringing in a harvest that allows for that either... For now I am working with one Sigma 610DG SUPER, Sigma 530DG SUPER and some old canon flash guns. I think I have another Sigma maybe a 500DG ST? I can't remember. I can create anything I need to with those suckers!
The new 610DG Super is pretty impressive and IMO it comes in between the Canon 430EX II and the 580EX II. Has the off camera capability of the 580EX II which is what pushed me to add one.

I'm with MLeek here. I have 7 speedlites and pound for pound there's nothing more portable, nothing more durable and nothing more flexible. All seven, with their radio triggers can easily fit in my pack. If I need power, I have a rig where I can attach 3 speedlites on a mount but you know I rarely had to as the 580 EXII I find are very sufficient. You combine the high speed sync technology, with the power of these flashes, these babies really push your lighting pretty far. You can easily kill the ambient and sufficiently light 3 people full body(and then some) at high noon with one of these speedlites.

If you find what Camz and I are saying interesting read up on Hobby's blog. Strobist

The problem is, The Elinchrom Ranger RX puts out over about 4 times more light than say a 580EX II and has one battery. You'll also have an easier time using a modifier with one Ranger RX head vs. with 16 580EX II lights. I shudder to think of battery management. I had a B800 that I was having trouble lighting two people with because of the distance it had to be for coverage and the large softbox on it. There's not much of a replacement for more power when you need more power.

Speedlights have their place and I think that the ultimate compromise is having a kit of speedlights and a larger lighting kit, but if you can only have one you don't want to end up purchasing the wrong thing.

Edit: PCB products don't really fit the durability criteria IMHO.

I had a B800 that I was having trouble lighting two people with because of the distance it had to be for coverage and the large softbox on it. There's not much of a replacement for more power when you need more power.

VI how big was your softbox? I use a 42" with a single 580 with couples all the time at high sun, no issues. I guess that depends on your style.

Yep there's no doubt you'll get 3x-4x the power for something that cost a few $K vs $475. What justified it for me was that my speedlites were getting all of the use while my Quantum system was just collecting dust. Like you mentioned if affordable it's good to have both, I just favor the convinience of the speedlites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back