Looking for a program

Nifty62

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am writing a book on PHP scripting, and in my book I am including a lot of pictures of examples and how to use different programs and such.

What I need is a freeware program that I can use to crop pictures and add borders easily. Preferably I would like to be able to add a border in the same way that Macromedia Flash does it, by simply clicking an ink bottle and clicking the image and having it put a nice neat line around the picture.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

There's the Gimp, which is free. It may be what you're looking for.

I have Gimp.

Haven't had much luck with it in the area of easily putting borders on the pictures. Of course, I may just not know how to do it or something.

check out photoscape

In Photoshop I go under the Image tab, and then click on 'Canvas size'. I put a check mark in the 'Relative' box, and pick a color.

I believe GIMP has a very similar function.

If not there are many GIMP tutorials online.

Hi, PhotoScape is very easy to use and is FREE To Download , This really is a great way to go for PC or Mac, I have used them all and this is the BEST Free you can get.

Picasso is also pretty good also but Photoscrape is best.

Hey all,I am writing a book on PHP scripting, and in my book I am including a lot of pictures of examples and how to use different programs and such.What I need is a freeware program that I can use to crop pictures and add borders easily. Preferably I would like to be able to add a border in the same way that Macromedia Flash does it, by simply clicking an ink bottle and clicking the image and having it put a nice neat line around the picture.Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Try this idea using gimp:First off, make sure gimp is optimized for your computer. For more info on how to optimize gimp check out this gimp video tutorial Gimped! Gimp Tutorials: How To Use Gimp For Beginners Lesson 2 - Under the Hood This assumes that all of your images are going to be the same size, so if they're not you'll have to repeat this process for each different size and orientation.Click file>>>open as layers>>select all of the images uou want to borderright-click in your layers dockable dialog and click "new layer"Click select>>>allClick select>>>shrink>>>shrink the selection by however thick you want your border to beClick select>>>inverseFill the selection with whatever color you want the border to beNow that youve made your border, simply click file>>>save as>>>save image 1Hide the topmost imageSave image 2Hide that layerSave image 3...repeat this until you've saved all of your images.

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

The thing is, I'm looking for a way to put a border on that takes, literally, seconds. Cause I have lot's of pictures and I don't want each picture to take 30 steps to put a border on lol.

Hey Nifty62,

Keep in mind that you can always download a trial version of Photoshop, which will work for 30 days. This should give you enough time to prepare your images. You can automate adding the borders to your photos too, so it shouldn’t take much time. To automate the process, either download a ready framing script or record your own action and re-apply it automatically to all images! Have you heard of the automate option in Photoshop, or do you need some guidelines?

Hope that helps

I have Gimp.

Haven't had much luck with it in the area of easily putting borders on the pictures. Of course, I may just not know how to do it or something.

Filters > Decor > Add Border. Select color & size. Easy peasey!

Most reactions

Back