Looking for a second lens

DanV1317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the canon rebel xt with just the 18-55 lens. I want a lens that has more zoom to it than what i have now. I will be doing alot of pictures of firearms/action pistol competitions. I'd like to get something that i can get some close up pictures that can really stop the bullet/pistol in mid flight. Most of the pictures i will be taking in general will be of moving things if that helps. I really dont know anything about even which brand lenses or what type i will need. Anything you guys can give me to look into would be great. Maybe looking to stay below 250$ for the lens if that is possible. But any options around that area would work. Thanks.
Dan

I have the canon rebel xt with just the 18-55 lens. I want a lens that has more zoom to it than what i have now. I will be doing alot of pictures of firearms/action pistol competitions. I'd like to get something that i can get some close up pictures that can really stop the bullet/pistol in mid flight. Most of the pictures i will be taking in general will be of moving things if that helps. I really dont know anything about even which brand lenses or what type i will need. Anything you guys can give me to look into would be great. Maybe looking to stay below 250$ for the lens if that is possible. But any options around that area would work. Thanks.
Dan

I'd go with a 70-200 f/4L, it's well under $1000, amazing quality, and fast enough I think to be able to do what you want.

If not, than Canon's 55-200 could work, but it's a piece of junk. You get what you pay for.

Yes :)
70-200mm f/4L is an incredible lens for the price. I believe you can get it for under $600. Check one of the ads that is above these messages. I like B&H myself, but have also bought from Adorama - no problems with either.

If you want to spend a bit more, you can go for 70-200 f/4L IS, or the 70-200 f/2.8L (no IS). Both are around $1000-$1100.

I've been shopping for a "longer" lense last two weeks so pricing is pretty recent.

If you have doubts/questions, you can always rent one to try out. Not sure if forum will allow me to enter url of those who do not advertise so will tell you to search for "canon lense rental" if you are looking for rental.

Most reactions

Back