Looking for a sunset & silhouette technique

grantjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I'm planning on going out to The Lickey Hills tonight at sunset to take some pictures. I'm completely new to photography but have started to read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and I think I understand the basics about aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

The first question I have is:

How do I find a sunset in a place that's so hilly? Is it as simple as looking towards the west and looking for the sun?

I feel really stupid asking that question. Of course I know where the sun is, it's just that the sunset only rarely catches my eye so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get the best shot (i.e. finding a really high hill or getting lower down)

Second question:

I want to use some objects in the foreground and have them turn out as silhouettes. From what I can gather, I should use a narrow aperture for high depth of field, but then I'm a bit confused. Should I then point the camera at the sun, adjust the shutter speed for a correct exposure and then compose the scene?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

A1: go and see what scenery you like and where the sun sets. If both fit your eye, then you found your place.
A2: And this is the way I do it - point, shoot and readjust. I shoot 95% in M mode so a lot depends on where I am (in doors/outdoors). Generally, w/ silhouettes I expose for the background and then over expose it a bit more - thus my subjects are UNDERexposed. At other times I add a bit of fill flash just to emphasize that there ARE people but still the same idea as above.
If you understand the concept of exposure (ISO, SS, A) then you'll get the shot you want/need - just need to practice.
good luck

SergeVika_eShoot_067_resize-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back