Looking for a Tripod, Ball Head, and Case for D40

RyanB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys/gals how are you?

I'd like a little help choosing a good tripod, ball head for my tripod, and a case for my camera. I have a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm lens.

Photography is a hobby for me, so I don't need anything too serious, being casual. Cost is probably the biggest concern for me, which is why I'm trying to do a lot of research.

While money is an issue, I still want to invest in a quality product, and try to prepare for new products I may acquire.

Here's what I have so far:

Tripod(I want it to have a long life and do it's job properly, at a decent price)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/615-315-Professional-Photo-Tripod-Panhead/dp/B0002EXF38/]Amazon.com: SLIK 615-315 Professional Photo/video Tripod with Panhead: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Ball Head(This one is more expensive because of it's design)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-322RC2-Horizontal-Action-Connect/dp/B000184N22]Amazon.com: Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect Plate (3157N): Camera & Photo[/ame]

Case(This is actually more of a backpack)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Fastpack-250-Black/dp/B000YIYQ30]Amazon.com: Lowepro Fastpack 250 (Black): Camera & Photo[/ame]

After talking to some people, I decided that a backpack would probably make more sense for me. When I'm doing photography it usually involves a lot of walking and I think it'd be better to have my hands free. I could get a cheaper backpack, but this one has a slot for a laptop, when I get one.

Also, all I have right now is my D40 so if there's anything I could be missing or might want, please let me know.

All comments are welcome, and all help is appreciated.

Thank you!

I just got the Manfrotto 055XProB and the 488RC2 head. Look for threads from me in the last few weeks. There was good discussion about those legs and the heads available. That 322 you mentioned was concerning for people for its usability.

I love the combination I have so far.

Look for targus tripods on ebay or on radioshack , i found one for like $15 on radio shack , that was my first tripod and it was pretty nice for the price that is

I just got the Manfrotto 055XProB and the 488RC2 head. Look for threads from me in the last few weeks. There was good discussion about those legs and the heads available. That 322 you mentioned was concerning for people for its usability.

I love the combination I have so far.

The tripod and ball head you mentioned are very popular on Amazon. The most popular in their class in fact.

I've looked a some of your thread, I'll keep looking.

Thank you :D

Look for targus tripods on ebay or on radioshack , i found one for like $15 on radio shack , that was my first tripod and it was pretty nice for the price that is

Thank you for your input!

Thought 15$ dollars is tempting considering my lack of funding, I think I should invest in something a bit more professional.

I know I said I photography is a hobby and that I'm a casual photographer, but I want to start traveling and taking it more serious.

The Manfrotto 055XPROB with 488RC2 head is a nice, high quality combination. For $300, it may be a bit much for you though, and for that D40 it may be heavier than you need it to be.

B&H sells the 190XB and 486RC2 head together for a slightly reduced price - $200, $175 after rebate.
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190XB Tripod Legs | 190XB,486RC2

This will probably fit your needs well. Anything less, and you risk quality. DO NOT buy a $15 tripod from Radio Shack because it WILL fall over and it WILL kill the equipment you spent hundreds of dollars on - you might as well not get a tripod at all then. For half-good tripods like the ones we're recommending here, for most sites you will not spend less than $200 on a good quality tripod.

If it seems a little high to you, keep in mind professionals buy tripods and heads that combined go for around $1,000. $200 truly is the casual user's pricepoint.

The Manfrotto 055XPROB with 488RC2 head is a nice, high quality combination. For $300, it may be a bit much for you though, and for that D40 it may be heavier than you need it to be.

B&H sells the 190XB and 486RC2 head together for a slightly reduced price - $200, $175 after rebate.
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190XB Tripod Legs | 190XB,486RC2

This will probably fit your needs well. Anything less, and you risk quality. DO NOT buy a $15 tripod from Radio Shack because it WILL fall over and it WILL kill the equipment you spent hundreds of dollars on - you might as well not get a tripod at all then. For half-good tripods like the ones we're recommending here, for most sites you will not spend less than $200 on a good quality tripod.

If it seems a little high to you, keep in mind professionals buy tripods and heads that combined go for around $1,000. $200 truly is the casual user's pricepoint.

Very nice post thank you!

I agree with your opinion on the investments involved, I do realize that I'll be spending a few hundred dollars.

Would you say the 055XPROB/488RC2 are similar to the 190XB and 486RC2 that you posted? What are the main differences?

In terms of the actual camera I'll be using, the D40 body meets my needs at the moment, but I am considering getting another lens, and I want a tripod and ball head that are prepared for an expansion(ie more weight)

Also I think it may be wise to buy a bag for whichever tripod I choose, so bag recommendations are welcome!

Once again, thank you.

Tripods are built to be thrown about. What's gonna break, honestly? Padded tripod bags are for wusses or people with their arms otherwise full.

I don't actually own the 190XB/486RC2, so I can't speak about them from a personal perspective. What I do know is that the 055XPROB is a very solid set of legs. When I put my camera on it, the legs don't move - period. However, it's not likely to hold under strong winds or a moving surface. What do you plan to upgrade to? If you might get something heavy like the 70-200, then don't get the 190XB. But if you're going to stick with light lenses, i.e. your next lens purchase would be something like a 50mm prime, then the 190XB would most probably be OK for you.

I've heard a few opinions go around saying to just get that $1,000 tripod package right off the bat, because otherwise you have to get rid of lesser tripod systems as you upgrade your collection. For me, personally, I thought that was complete bullcrap because I was never going to be able to afford something like a D700 and that 70-200 lens for a good long time, so a few years down the line when I get out of college and into a job that might let me afford such a camera and lens, then I'd be able to save up for a tripod like that. At the time though, I had $300 to spend on a tripod and that tripod has served my needs for now and into the forseeable future quite well - and if I once I do outgrow it, I know a few people who I could sell it to.

If you are planning to upgrade or eventually get something like a 70-200mm lens, go ahead and get something like the 055xprob.. The 190 is great, but I was told it was not the set for a larger lens.

I have been playing with the 055xprob and I can tell you it's very stable. I really like 488RC2 head. The main difference between it and the 468 is that the 488 has a lock that can be unlocked to allow you to pan the camera. IE. Pan it to the right or left, then lock it back down. Very useful feature.

It seems like the consensus is to buy the 055xprob and 488rc2 if I can afford it.

It's roughly 84 dollars more than the 190XB/486RC2, 109 if you count the rebate.

A 70-200mm lens is a possibility, I just want to have a bit of room to expand.

In terms of a bag I suppose it's not very important. My main concern was just keeping the tripod in good condition. I can worry about a bag later, if I have any problems.

I think I'm pretty set on the 055xprob and 488rc2. I'll try to keep doing research for a few more days.

The lowepro bags are nice. I have the slingshot 250 and 350AW. I am planning on pourchasing the Computrekker Plus AW at some point.

Thinktankphoto.com also makes some really nice bags.

If you buy lowepro, look for a seller named sellnsend on ebay. I have bought 2 bags from them and they rock. Lower prices and great service so far.

Does anyone else have any input?

I've been pretty busy with other things but I want to decide soon so I can start taking some nice pictures =)

Well I think I've decided to get the 055xprob and the 488rc2, but now my problem is I'm not sure what backpack/case I'll get.

At first I thought the Lowepro Fastpack was the right choice, but now I'm looking for a backpack that can hold a tripod, and I'm not sure where to find a good one, or especially one that can hold the 055xprob, which is 5 pounds and 25 inches when closed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

My main concern was just keeping the tripod in good condition. I can worry about a bag later, if I have any problems.

Once again, there is a HUGE difference if there is a scratch on your lens versus a scratch on your tripod. You need to buy a case for your camera, but who cares if you get a scratch on your tripod? It still works just as well as without the scratch. Manfrotto tripods are built with a really high level of quality and it would take a MASSIVE amount of pressure to try and bend the tripod legs or even move the ball when everything is locked up and not set up. Buy the legs, feel the quality of the legs, throw it on your driveway (multiple times), and THEN tell me you need a padded bag. At most you need a shoulder strap to carry it better, but that's it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back