Looking for advice for TFP/Raw issue.

12sndsgood said:
if the op can't listen to anyone else. they can't listen to you telling them to listen to derrel and no one else. hmmm. lol

Lol...good point! Previous post has been edited.

sure you have a lot more ability to alter with a RAW file. but you can still alter a ton with a high rez JPG if your competent at processing. both can be altered.

Ownership is a lot harder to prove without the original raw file.

sure you have a lot more ability to alter with a RAW file. but you can still alter a ton with a high rez JPG if your competent at processing. both can be altered.

Ownership is a lot harder to prove without the original raw file.

Of course, the OP has her camera programmed to embed her copyright information into each and every file her camera creates, right??

Or the OP plugs in her IPTC metadata with her copyright and creator and contact information when she bulk ingests all her files to her computer. Right?

Lightroom: Add your IPTC metadata on Import

And, "OMG--the client might change the white balance on a frame or two!!! Horrors!!!"

Of course, the OP has her camera programmed to embed her copyright information into each and every file her camera creates, right??

Or the OP plugs in her IPTC metadata with her copyright and creator and contact information when she bulk ingests all her files to her computer. Right?

Lightroom: Add your IPTC metadata on Import

And, "OMG--the client might change the white balance on a frame or two!!! Horrors!!!"

If it negatively effects the impact of your work, one might find it horrific.

Correct. But she could do the same horrific edit On a high Rez JPG

Not necessarily. Yes, editing can be done. But a lot of data to aid in editing is stripped.

Tyler makes a good point. I think whether photos are given in trade or licensed for usage or sold as prints, if there's an issue with copyright violation, usage not according to the contract etc., having the original image would give you some options or recourse. I should have clarfied my original post to say I would not give out or sell my original digital images or my film negatives.

If someone misuses your images or alters/edits them extensively, it could be your reputation as a photographer on the line, so you might need to maintain your originals. Or you might need the originals as a backup if the images you sold or licensed become lost or destroyed (if a CD or digital file or a print is lost/deleted).

And I don't think any photography is free. Besides cost of equipment and supplies I think there's a value to my time and ability and I would expect compensation for my work.

Once the OP fills the obligation of the original contract then a new contract specifying what would be provided for X amount of compensation could be drawn up. I think the photographer needs to maintain control over their work and determine what options they choose to offer to clients.

All this jibberish about who can edit what is meaningless with regards to the OP.

The agreement was for jpegs. Period. End of story. If the model now wants Raw images, that's a new contract, with new stipulations. Period.

The OP can choose to simply hand them over (which I would disagree with), but is under absolutely no obligation to do so...

Thanks everyone for your voices. You've given me a lot of food for thought, and it is much appreciated. :)

Not necessarily. Yes, editing can be done. But a lot of data to aid in editing is stripped.

I can do a horrific editing job with a jpg as easily as I could a raw file. You don't need 100% of the information if your a hack. People having been editing jpgs for year and years and can do so without a raw fills

And everyone remember. Giving someone a copy of a raw file doesn't mean you lose your rights to it or lose the file itself. I could send everyone here a raw file of a photo and still retain the original.

Most reactions

Back