Looking for advice on moving from a Amateur to Semi-Professional

TomWard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All-

I'm new to the forum and any replies are greatly appreciated. I have Canon T3i with a
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. I have a few accessories and a 580 EX flash on the way. I was contemplating getting into event/wedding photography part time on the weekends. Obviously, I would need to purchase quite a few items before even beginning to seriously attempt to undertake any job opportunity. I have a few questions that would really be helpful as I wouldnt want to invest in the wrong equipment. Mistakes can be costly of course.

I've decided I needed the following equipment at minimum before starting:

1: Stuff I own already: Canon T3i, Canon
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, and a Canon 580 EX II Flash. (I also have a battery grip, 3x 16GB Class 10 SD's, and a quality monopod and tripod)
Oh.. I also have a fast PC with the Full Adobe CS4 Creative Suite.

2: In my opinion, at bare minimum.... I would need to buy:
- Canon EF 24-70 mm - f/2.8 L USM - ($1400ish)
- Canon EF 70-200mm - f/2.8 L USM - ($1400+ish)
- Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM ($1600ish)

I would also need a backup camera body(with a grip and batteries, see question below) and a spare lens or two, to compliment the list above. I figure a 430 EX II Flash for backup is also required in case my 580 fails.

My question(s) to the forum is...

1: Would this be enough to get started?
2: Is the APS-C sensor adequate with quality lenses OR.... do I need to invest in a 35mm full frame like the EOS 5D Mark II? If a full frame was needed, any EF-S lens I own would be useless other then for the T3i backup. I might be able to save some cash on the EF-S lenses if I can get a few of the low aperture models available.... I bought the Canon T3i to learn with and I figured it would make a decent backup/travel camera in the future. Is maintaining the APS-C sensor system (I.E EOS 7D maybe) for my next camera satisfactory or do I need to spend bigger money and move to a 5D+?

Comments on my lens/equipment selections and the camera sensor system are appreciated.

Thanks~

Tom

How good a photographer are you?
It takes a lot more than adequate equipment to get good pictures.
EXACTLY this just came on my mind while reading OP's post.

1: Would this be enough to get started?
Hell no! What about knowledge and experience?
600D came to market just this year and it looks like it's your first DSLR camera. Now you decided you want to make money with it and go straight for weddings and events? LOL?
Maybe your post just gave a wrong impression, but if not.. well, good luck with that if you think that all it takes is a more expensive gear. I don't think you're ready for taking any jobs in photography if you have to ask such questions.

How good a photographer are you?
It takes a lot more than adequate equipment to get good pictures.

I feel like I'm OK. I have a little bit to learn however I would probably volunteer my time to a professional photographer as a second camera to build some experience and a portfolio. I'm highly technical, so the camera itself manipulation is fairly easy but experience comes with practice and I plan on doing that quite a bit before committing to shoot anyone's event as the primary.

@ Tomasko

Again, I also agree with your point. I don't expect to be a professional overnight. I want to make sure I have invested in the right places so that I can practice, for free.... and learn. I made no claims of expertise. I would prefer to purchase the correct stuff so when I'm ready, I haven't wasted my cash.

So is anyone willing to answer my questions or just flame me for asking them?

You're asking the wrong questions.

2: In my opinion, at bare minimum.... I would need to buy:
- Canon EF 24-70 mm - f/2.8 L USM - ($1400ish)
- Canon EF 70-200mm - f/2.8 L USM - ($1400+ish)
- Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM ($1600ish)

Those are all nice, but more than the bare minimum needed, and as mentioned the gear does you no good if you don't know how to use it effectively, and the fact you have to ask indicates you don't.

Many look to the equipment as the way to make quality images when the photographer is the biggest influence on image quality.

I hope you realize you will need to register your business with at least the state (and likely the city too), have business liability, indemmity, and E&O insurance, collect and forward applicable state sales taxes, have an actionable contract, other legal paperwork, and maintain the records required by the feds, state and maybe the city.

You should be asking about things like marketing and promotion, products to offer, here in the General Shop Talk section of the forums.

post some pics. It takes more than nice equipment to be a wedding photographer. You may want to consider getting a 5D classic.

Many look to the equipment as the way to make quality images when the photographer is the biggest influence on image quality.

I hope you realize you will need to register your business with at least the state (and likely the city too), have business liability, indemmity, and E&O insurance, collect and forward applicable state sales taxes, have an actionable contract, other legal paperwork, and maintain the records required by the feds, state and maybe the city.

Wow, no one is capable of reading my OP. I am not a pro. I will not be charging anyone for anything anytime in the near future. I want to purchase the correct stuff so I can LEARN. I don't need to setup a LLC right now. I don't need advice on insurance, liability, and contracts. I am not a moron. Just because I bought tiger woods driver I cant hit the ball like him..... I GET IT... for christ sake stop harping on the experience B.S.

I had a simple question about APS-C vs Full frame and the quality of the lenses. Would it make more sense to purchase nice equipment one time, or "entry level" equipment for me, because apparently I'm a f-ing noob to all of you, and waste my money when in the end when I gain more experience and WANT better lenses. Its ok, I understand.... You were all professionals from birth. Thanks for the insightful feedback.

Oh and about setting up a company? How can I afford thousands of dollars in lenses and cameras...hmmm.... perhaps I know how to setup a company and run one that has been quite lucrative... wouldn't that be a shocker??

I think you may have misunderstood what we were trying to explain (or at least what I was trying). It doesn't really matter, if you shoot with this lens or that lens. It doesn't matter if you use 10 assistants or shoot all by yourself. It doesn't matter, if you...
All that matters is your experience and ability to adapt to situations that may occur. As you're saying by yourself, you're lacking on this part. When you get more experience, you'll understand what lenses/flashes/equipment you need to achieve photos you want.
If you don't want to immediately start a business, don't spend thousands of dollars. Use the lenses and equipment you already posses. Go and shoot some friend's event with that gear (party, whatever). Try to get the best results you possibly can. Find your style, find your way you like to take photos of such events. After some time you'll find out, what exactly you lack and what exactly you need to buy. We can help you to choose some specific lenses, but what would it help if we start to name the equipment you may never use with your style of doing things?? Some lack to use only natural light with reflectors, some won't leave home without an external flash.... Some like to be real close to action, some take pictures from far.

Some people can take more stunning pictures with P&S than some "pros" with top notch gear.

Some people can take more stunning pictures with P&S than some "pros" with top notch gear.

I couldnt agree more with this statement.

All I was hoping to understand was if my choices were adequate as want to invested in quality equipment. The last event I attended was a family wedding and posted the album online for my family. I got 5 emails asking if I could shoot for upcoming family weddings (I'm the oldest of 17 grandchildren). I declined all of them. Most of my shots were from a distance 5.6/80mm+, or of poor lighting quality because at the time I did not have an external flash and I was trying to stay away from the professional photographer at the event so my flash would not wash out his images and my presense would not obstruct him in anyway. I shot the entire event in manual mode with a onboard flash and due to lack of adequate flash bounce or a low enough aperture to capture the indoor dimly lit room properly from a distance (.. since I had to zoom out to avoid the existing photographer). Even so, I got amazing unexpected feedback from my family. I build data centers for a living so the technical side of photography appeals to me as it hits some of those aspects of how my brain works. I have been playing with camera's point and shoot's slowly progressing for years and have been told several times I have a good eye for photography. While I agree experience is everything, shooting in low light is extremely challenging, even for experts, without proper equipment. Thus my question reqarding equipment selection.

In my opinion a good photographer shouldn't need any of that expensive equipment at first. I know guys who can take better photos with a point and shoot than most guys with 3 grand worth of equipment.

Hey TomWard,
Welcome to the forums! I would be very interested in seeing some of your photos as well. Do you have them online for people to see or can you post a few in this thread?

Wow, no one is capable of reading my OP. I am not a pro. I will not be charging anyone for anything anytime in the near future. I want to purchase the correct stuff so I can LEARN. I don't need to setup a LLC right now. I don't need advice on insurance, liability, and contracts. I am not a moron. Just because I bought tiger woods driver I cant hit the ball like him..... I GET IT... for christ sake stop harping on the experience B.S.

I had a simple question about APS-C vs Full frame and the quality of the lenses. Would it make more sense to purchase nice equipment one time, or "entry level" equipment for me, because apparently I'm a f-ing noob to all of you, and waste my money when in the end when I gain more experience and WANT better lenses. Its ok, I understand.... You were all professionals from birth. Thanks for the insightful feedback.

Oh and about setting up a company? How can I afford thousands of dollars in lenses and cameras...hmmm.... perhaps I know how to setup a company and run one that has been quite lucrative... wouldn't that be a shocker??

Then you posted in the wrong forum section and used a poor title, Tom.

You don't need fancy gear to learn, if you have a lucrative business why would you want to shoot weddings ?

Most reactions

Back