Looking for advice on moving from a Amateur to Semi-Professional

bennielou

I guess I have a bee in my bonnet when it comes to the topic of weddings. When I got married a few years back, I paid big bucks and hired the best photographer in town. He had a huge portfolio, was well known and regularly worked with celebrities. He showed up to my wedding in dirty hiking books, ripped jean shorts and a t-shirt. He did not get any of the shots I asked for and showed up 20 minutes after the rest of us had arrived at his studio following the ceremony (it was pouring rain) with a starbucks in his hand. He made me feel like he was too good for my event. His lighting and composition were perfect but he captured nothing. A number of my friends hired an up and coming “craigs list” photographer and I envy their photos. Sure, the exposure might be off in some and there was very little processing, but she was professional in dress and behaviour, took the shots she promised and her work showed the emotion of the day. Some people regret hiring the “experienced professional” too.

I am comfortable with my approach to gaining experience. Like I said, I second shoot as well as do weddings for people who otherwise would not be able to afford photography. When I solo shoot I am very careful to prepare the couple for the fact that there might be 100 great shots or just 1. Since their alternative is no photography at all, they are always happy. It’s a win win in my book.

I appreciate your advice and I especially appreciate that you were able to express it in a constructive and respectful way.

No problem. It made me happy that you thought my post was constructive and respectful. I'm not always seen in that light. And I'm also glad that you stuck around.

Lordy, I've heard what you have said from many brides who had the same experience as you did. (not mine of course, mine all revere me :) ) But I have heard this is the past.

Hear me out here, because I think this is something every client should know:

1. ASK questions.
2. Review the website. (are they just popular, or are they shooting the style YOU want consistantly?)
3. Expensive has never meant good as much as cheap never meant bad. You have to do your homework.
5. Did you look at full wedding samples?
6. If so, how many full wedding samples did you see?

You also said that the photog did a good job with lighting and exposure and composition, but got nothing........I hate to say this gal, but you hired him based on the photos you saw, he nailed them, as far as photography went, but you still weren't happy.

I think that you weren't happy (and don't hate me for this) is because you didn't do your homework. Every photographer has a style. A way of doing things. You wanted more of a photojournalism thing.

And yes, it's also easy to look at 5 photos a year later and have buyers remorse. You can't blame this on the photographer. You hired him/her.

I did my research - saw two full wedding samples, called references...did it all. His portfolio and samples were just the style i was after. Like I said, technically his photos were excellent, but you can take a photo of a lump of dog crap that is excellent from a technical standpoint. He didn't take the photos we agreed to.

I would honestly take the blame if I didn't do my homework but I did. Photography was very important to me.

I believe that he just wasn't in it that day. I paid full price but because I wasn't "somebody" so I don't think he really cared.

I'll get over it someday I suppose. Guess it just goes to show how important it is not to screw up someones big day. 5 years later and I am still harping on it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back