Looking for advice on new Nikon Camera Upgrade

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Photo Lady, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Photo Lady

Photo Lady Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I would definitely take your advice if I did not use my camera so much.. I use it just about every day.. so I feel a new one would give me that much more life left.. I am afraid with constant use that something will go wrong with the camera.. I really cannot afford to send it out and be repaired and wait for it to return.. ..I forgot to mention I do use it for ebay selling too......I will have to see what is best .. I have been using the d7100 for about 2 years.. not many days inbetween did I let it rest..... lol...

2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, unless you are consistently shooting in low light, the faster glass would also be my recommendation. My 7100 AF works so much better with the 105mm 2.8 than it does with the Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 and the sharpness of the faster glass is critical if you want to crop.

As for the 7100 wearing out or whatever you're worried about, in the extremely unlikely event that that should happen, you could easily sell the lens and buy another used 7100 (I paid $499 with free shipping and a 1 year warranty for a refurb 7100 last November from Cameta Camera and it had a shutter count of 86 when it arrived).

Whatever you decide to do, I strongly recommend buying used/refurb from a reputable online or local store. You can really stretch your budget that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    okay I think I will hold on to my D7100 for now and get a new lens for Christmas.. thanks.. I feel better all ready......

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Now for the fun part - what lens to buy!!!! What do you shoot? What's hubby's budget?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    I am thinking of trying out the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Nikon .. I think this would be exciting new venture... and where I purchase will give me a few days to try it out....... thanks for you help.. and thank you everyone..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, the D700 will accept both DX and FX format lenses. However, you do not get the benefit of using the entire sensor surface with DX lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you made the right choice keeping your camera. I have had both a d7100and a d7200. The d7200 is marginally better, with a better buffer if you shoot high frames per second. The lens you are looking at will be nice. The lenses you have are ok, but far from giving you the best possible from your camera

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I have a Sigma Art lens on my infrared converted Sony A3000 and it is sharp as a tack!

• Like Like x 1
  9. PersistentNomad

PersistentNomad No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought my d5000 seven years ago (I think), from a pawn shop. I've taken it on some hellish journeys since then, and it's a trooper. Cameras very rarely just break down form too much use, unless you are reaching its actuation life-expectancy. Cameras have problems from not being treated right. So, I wouldn't worry just yet. And I agree that a faster (lower aperture) zoom lens will open up a whole world for you within the work you currently do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    thank you.....

11. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    thanks ... I had some trouble uploading my photos on one of the imports on the camera.. I seem to have to jingle the wire around a bit for good contact before my photos upload onto the PC.. so far it has not been a huge problem.. it works in a few seconds.. from moving it a bit..but I thought maybe whats next.. I do take very good care of my camera..always keeping it in the case .. every day.. cleaning the sensor etc.. so yes I can picture many good years ahead .. but just do not want any problems .. I want it ready when I am ready....love my camera.....

12. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit

That's what I want.......sharp!!