Looking for advice: Pentax ME Super 35 mm SLR versus ASAHI Pentax k1000

rhia17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I'm looking to buy a film camera and I am trying to decide between the Pentax ME Super 35 mm SLR and the ASAHI Pentax k1000. Does anyone have any thoughts on which may be better and why?

The K1000 is strictly a manual exposure camera. The ME Super has aperture-preferred auto exposure.

It can also accept an auto-winder.

Don't know about the ME Super. I've shot with a K1000 for the past 20+ years and I still love it. It's totally manual. It does have a light meter that needs a battery, but if the battery runs out, the camera still works. And the things were built like tanks. Last year, my 20-year-old camera took a dive off a stone wall and hit the concrete. Has a crack on the corner of the top plate, but absolutely nothing has changed in terms of its performance.

I'm sure the ME is a great camera, too - it's just a matter of what you want the camera to do for you, if you want some auto features or not. Pentax often delivers really good quality for the money, and there are great lenses for them, so either way, you can't go wrong! :)

Go for the K1000 as a first film camera. Learn the basics and then get an ME Super or Super Program. I've owned just about every Pentax 35mm camera and lens made. My current user collection is a MX, MG, 2-MV's and a K1000 with a variety of lens. Miss my LX and hope to get another one soon.

Another vote for the K1000. Automation is highly overrated though 'point & shoot' is nice at times. With the K1000 you set the shutter to what you want. Depending on what you are shooting, it's easy to guess which aperture to use so when you fine tune things, there's not that much fiddling. Or, set the aperture where you want and fiddle with the shutter. With the meter needle the way it is, there's no need for an exposure compensation for backlight, etc. Just set the needle over/under the C for what you want. It is simple and reliable and way more fun to use than my ME Super! (Or the ME, or the two Super Programs or the...LOL)

Another vote for the K1000. Automation is highly overrated though 'point & shoot' is nice at times. With the K1000 you set the shutter to what you want. Depending on what you are shooting, it's easy to guess which aperture to use so when you fine tune things, there's not that much fiddling. Or, set the aperture where you want and fiddle with the shutter. With the meter needle the way it is, there's no need for an exposure compensation for backlight, etc. Just set the needle over/under the C for what you want. It is simple and reliable and way more fun to use than my ME Super! (Or the ME, or the two Super Programs or the...LOL)
At least I know, that I have a fellow film shooter in you. :thumbup: OP doesn't seem interested in our answers. She/he visited the site only once; when posting the question. :alien:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back