Looking for advice

cbstokes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used to do a little bit of hobby film photragraphy and have enjoyed messing around with some of the digital point and shoot cameras. My ancient mainstay camera is an old Minolta SRT-102 and I have really enjoyed taking pics with it...nothing highly advanced or automatic. I felt like I had pretty good control of the photography and could manipulate shutter speed and f stop to get the desired effects. I know that all of this can be accomplished with the digital SLRs on their manual settings.

The question that I have involves connecting the camera to a fixed aperture lens. I have a Celestron 90 cm telescope (f-11) that I bought a t-mount so that it would fit my old Minolta and other than having to guess/diddle with the shutter speed to get my shot, I enjoyed some of the photos that I have taken. Since there's a pretty good time lag between snapping the shot and viewing the results using film, I didn't use it too much but with the instant review of digital, I think that I would enjoy using this lens even more.

I am trying to find an affordable (<$800 or so) camera kit that comes with at least 2 lenses and that I can also mate up with my long lens. Can I solicit some sound advice from the group?

I don't know much about Minolta caremas, or what dSLR would have the same mount (if there is one, Sony maybe?). I wouldn't let the decision ride on the T-mount though, they're pretty cheap (I think mine was around $20). I'd just buy a new T-mount (if you have to) once you figure out what camera system you want to use.

Sorry for lack of clarity....I was planning on getting tha appropriate t-mount for whatever camera I buy, I really don't know that much about digital SLRs and was hoping to find a recommendation or 2 based on my original post.

If you already have a bunch of Minolta lenses you might want to find something with the same mount, but that may not be possible... I think Sony uses the same mount, but I'm not sure...someone on here will know.

If you're not worried about using your old lenses, just get whatever feels the best to you. You should be able to find a decent dSLR + a lens or two from any of the major manufacturers and stay within your budget.

I don't have a sack full of lenses to use and that's not what I'm asking (or trying to ask)

I guess that not knowing too much about digital SLRs, the bottom line is are there any decent digital SLRs that I can easily get a T mount for my telescope and will be easy to operate?

I've seen some cameras that you can set the aperture on the camera controls and the camera automatically adjusts the shutter speed. Will this work with a fixed aperture lens and no feedback from the lens itself?

On my old film camera, the light meter's ability to function properly was diminished when the depth of field preview was operated and with the f-11 telescope 'lens' attached, the light meter was practically useless as well. I had a few pics turn out pretty nice but burned a whole lot of emulsion in the process because I would choose a shutter speed snap a shot, then go a few clicks faster and a few clicks slower with the shutter and pick the best shot after developing.

No matter which dSLR you chose I'm sure there's a T mount for it.
If it were me I'd stick with Nikon or Canon, Sony would probably be a good choice too.

www.astronomics.com That's where I get my telescope stuff at. Click on "accessories", then "photographic".

T Rings. All the usual suspects are there.
T Adapter. You may not need this, depends on your telescope. I don't use one, I just thread the T Ring (t mount) directly onto the telescope then attach the camera. But... I guess using one of these would be a lot easier than how I've been doing it (it would basically turn your camera into an eyepiece). I think I'll have to get one. ;)

I've seen some cameras that you can set the aperture on the camera controls and the camera automatically adjusts the shutter speed. Will this work with a fixed aperture lens and no feedback from the lens itself?
No, I don't think so. (The mode you're referring to is Aperture Priority, BTW. Canon calls it Av, I think it's just A on Nikon.) You will have to use M mode. ...I've never actually tried putting my camera into Av mode with the telescope on, I just assumed it wouldn't work. Metering may still be a bit iffy, but with digital you'll be able to check your results right away.

It's been a while since I had my camera on the telescope... I want to say that the meter was still usable for the moon, but useless for anything else. My memory's a little fuzzy on this though. My telescope is f/13.3 (90mm, 1200mm focal length) by the way, I'm sure a faster scope would make the meter a lot more usable.

OK- Thanks for the information. I appologize for the lack of clarity obeing a bit ambiguous on my original post. I appreciate the input.

Most reactions

Back