looking for advice

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
these are previous posts but i'm starting to look seriously at doing something with my work and will occasionally post pics for your help. so.......which of these would choose for framing:

14262265-L.jpg

14262264-L.jpg

I'm going to go with the first one. For the simple reason I find myself staring at it studying it. Whereas the second one I look at it think it's interesting but then go back to studying the first.

My only advice is to STOP DELETING YOUR PHOTOS!!! These are the first JonMikal photos I've been able to view in several months! :irked:

If it was me I would frame them together, side by side as a series. Both are very good and I think they would work well together with a white matte and black frame.

I'd go with the second as well for pretty much the same reason's Jadin gave. It has more interest in it, it tells more of a story to the viewer ... a human interest kind of piece.

Sorry I can't eloquently give you more than that! but I've said it before and i'll say it again ... your work is great and I'm sure you'll do well no matter your photographic ventures

best of luck Jonmikol :mrgreen:

jadin said:
I'm going to go with the first one. For the simple reason I find myself staring at it studying it. Whereas the second one I look at it think it's interesting but then go back to studying the first.

My only advice is to STOP DELETING YOUR PHOTOS!!! These are the first JonMikal photos I've been able to view in several months! :irked:

ha, i've actually got two posts going in the main gallery..better hurry before they disappear :lmao: i play around too much with smugmug and end up screwing up.

thanks to everyone for your suggestions! i've said it before and i'll say it again...the support here is incredible!!!! :hug::

the second one. number one was what i was leaning towards simply because it is clearer and tells the story a little better, but number 2 is more powerful.

I'm in for number one...just like what jadin said, i studied it, where the second I looked at it, liked it, but didn't study it. the more I go back and forth between the two, the more i like number one.

If it were my picture, I might consider cropping a little off the top; there is something distracting going on in the upper rigtht corner. OR you could clone it out.

Why choose, do both. But if I really really had to choose I would pick the second one. Reason being that it is so elegant in its simplicity. You captured only enough to tell the story, in a splendid way I might add.. The depression in that picture is almost overwhelming.

Love your work, you know that. Both pics are great, but I was looking for the words to describe why I pick #2, simple yet complex, come to mind.
Cruzin summed it up best.

If I HAD to pick one, I would frame the second. The idea of both aint bad also. :)

Vertical shots are generally not deserving of a frame. Jokingingly of course. (I just had to give you a hard time). Both shots are strong. My vote goes to the first frame. There is an interesting story going on. Very original and it is something I do not see everyday. Print and frame it as large as possible!!

i like the simplicity of #2. it has a very creepy feel to it

thanks all for your contributions. this process has been very beneficial in my decision making.

You know...I've looked at these two enough to be able and draw them with my eyes closed and still couldn't tell you to frame just one of them. They both have certain characteristics that make them so special. The first one looks almost serine with how the subject seems relaxed while the world around him/her is clouded and in dismay. The second one reminds me of the emotion that usually comes the first time you see a homeless person. It's like watching a horror movie when the person jumps out of the foggy night. I'm jumping on the "frame them both" bandwagon.

thanks Aubrey! you certainly have a way of expressing your insight very well and opening my eyes to different perspectives. much appreciated.

Most reactions

Back