Looking for an active photography forum

What is your go-to lens?

• Total voters
So, I'm confused about how time is represented here on this forum. Is it EST, or adjusted, because I've never been asked what timezone I'm in. How does that work? Plus, replies are measured sometimes in relative and other absolute measures. I'm confused.

So, I'm confused about how time is represented here on this forum. Is it EST, or adjusted, because I've never been asked what timezone I'm in. How does that work? Plus, replies are measured sometimes in relative and other absolute measures. I'm confused.

We do that intentionally to confuse you. Just adjust your Spurving chronometer. If you can't find it, click on the dingle-arm link in the top left of any screen. Then follow the panametric flam.

Okay, I just have to say, I love this latest acquisition of the 40mm f/2.8 pancake prime. It has the sweet spot between normal human angle of view (between 50-55mm for full-frame) and a longer focal distance more conducive to portrait photography. It's a walk-around lens. Does anyone else own this lens and love it?
Oh, and it's very affordable for unemployed photographers like me: Bought it online at B&H Photo for $149.00 w/no tax nor shipping. I hate to blow off my local National Camera Exchange, but I'm not employed (terrible excuse, I know).

I had a 40mm back in my early film days. Loved it. If I had to take ONE lens, the 40 was it.

Not sure how you figure a 40mm is between 50mm and longer lens, though.

We do that intentionally to confuse you. Just adjust your Spurving chronometer. If you can't find it, click on the dingle-arm link in the top left of any screen. Then follow the panametric flam.
I thought you adjusted this in your camera's intervalometer, unless of course you have a Canon :)

Or you can go to your Profile, then Preferences and it's the 3rd option down
TPFTimeZone.jpg

Last edited:
The reason for a single choice pole:
I just bought the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake prime with the intention of using it on my Rebel T4i and carrying it around like a point-and-shoot. I just sold my Canon G12 and used those funds to purchase the 40mm. However, I'm still more comfortable with my kit lens, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; I've shot most of my best photographs with it. But, I wanted the 40mm pancake prime to push myself, to bring back those old 35mm film experience w/55mm, to zoom with my feet. (Note: 40mm on a crop sensor is a 64mm for 35mm full-frame equivalent). So, I intentionally want the pole to be single-choice. If you had to grab just one lens and go, which would you be most comfortable with? It's a hypothetical situation. I chose my kit lens with all its distortion and chromatic aberrations issues in the pole; I hope one day that will change to the 40mm; it's a better lens in many ways.
In a way, I added the pancake prime to answer the question to the vast body of knowledge of TPF what they would recommend in that one-lens hypothetical situation.
In reality, I own four lenses (check my profile) and they all fit in my little SlingShot 202AW, which is a small camera bag. When I'm intentionally going to a photo shoot, there's no reason for me not to grab that bag and give me every option.
Today, it's between the old reliable kit lens and the new 40mm, and I have to give the latter a chance.
Understandable.
But my one choice is dependent upon what I'm going to do on my FF body
Car Shows or other things like that .. my UWA 18-35
Sports, my 80-200
Birding/aircraft - my 150-500
Walkaround - 24-85
artsy - 85 or 50/1.4
then portraiture may be the 24-85 or 80-200 or 85

I can't really use a UWA for birding or vice versa. I guess I like too many different types of photography genres as many on TPF do, so I can't really answer that in one lens.

if I grab my crop camera then I only keep one lens on it, a kit 18-105 as I'll use that for Sun photography, video, intervalometer work and other misc things.

I voted "wide lense", because I mostly shoot with 18 or 27 mm on crop bodies.
It is also a prime and a pancake. But I voted "wide" because I have chosen it for its focal length, not because it is a prime or a pancake. These are, of course, big advantages, but of secondary importance to me.

Hence I think there should be two polls, first "what focal length do you use most often?", and second "do you mostly shoot with a prime or a zoom".
I do not know where to fit the pancake question here, but obviously I would love all my lenses to be pancakes, incl. tele zooms.

I agree that pushing yourself to shoot with a prime is a good idea, especially you have a particular style in mind want to master it.

But in my case I am also spoiled by a wonderful 18-55 mm f/2,8-4 "kit" zoom, that is compact, light, fast and has good IQ (FUJI FX).

So yes, sometimes I have to push myself. What helps me is that my (literally) go-to lense is tiny 18 mm Ricoh GR that sits in my (non photo) bag or in my pocket, wherever I go. Btw this lense also beat my old Nikon lenses hands down.

Welcome back! This one's certainly active!

Although, I am from the UK, too. But I reckon I'm more fun than those other ones... ;)

My go-to wasn't listed. It'd be the 85mm f1.8. Unless that counts as telephoto, does it?

Last edited:
I think we have a few people here that shoot Canon, (not sure why though:biggrin-93: ) so im sure you can get Canon related questions answered in a fairly timely fashion.

It's because Canon has a 'Zoo' mode for shooting at the zoo.
post-14105-1131311653.gif
And then calling it wildlife

Same people who use their 4x4 crossover to pick the kids up at soccer and call driving through the gravel parking lot 'off-roading'.

My go to lens is my Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS. If I had to pick one lens to shoot with it would be that one as it's the most versitile.

I think we have a few people here that shoot Canon, (not sure why though:biggrin-93: ) so im sure you can get Canon related questions answered in a fairly timely fashion.

It's because Canon has a 'Zoo' mode for shooting at the zoo.
post-14105-1131311653.gif
And then calling it wildlife

Same people who use their 4x4 crossover to pick the kids up at soccer and call driving through the gravel parking lot 'off-roading'.

Our Honda CRV gets used to tow the horse and missus to hunts
568-XL.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back