Looking for an Angle

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been to Cologne Germany recently and have come away with a few images. Now the thing is Im not sure of the direction required in post to get the best out of this one.

I probably should have cut the exposure time.

Any suggestions ( little bit of exposure done but its more or less straight raw to jpeg convert)
DSC_5661 copy.jpg

I now shoot these as HDR (multiple exposure) because of the lights blowing holes in the image. Then combine in Photoshop or Photomatix.

If you shoot one image and drop the exposure because of the lights the remaining scene becomes too dark.

A couple more points on this image.
You are a little late in the day. The blue hour after sundown when there is still some blue in the sky is best.

The 2nd point is that even with HDR you will have a tough time dealing with the strong lights on the bridge supports. A spot meter would give you the number of stops difference with the light on the water (as an example). But, HDR will reduce the blow out which is by the way a big distraction as one's eye goes right to the light.
Having said that keep it up. Night photography is a whole new game but very interesting and very rewarding.

I like it. If it was raw I'd imagine pulling the highlights back would make it a little better

Most reactions

Back