Looking for an upgrade

canukshutterbug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I know I'm new, and my camera is, well, nothing special. I have been able to take some great shots (in my opinion) with it but now that my interest in photography has grown, I'm looking to upgrade. I'm looking for a camera that it user friendly, but still takes quality shots. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, and I'm not opposed to buying a good used camera. Any suggestions?

Things that would be helpful for us to know before we offer suggestions:
*What camera are you currently using that you've outgrown?
*What features are most important to you to upgrade?
*What's your budget (maybe this should be first...)?
*Do you have a bias?

Sorry...I guess I forgot those details. My current camera is a Fuji FinePix A600...decent family camera. My budget is under $600. I was looking at the Fuji FinePix S6000fd....any comments about this particular camera?

For that price I would think you'd be able to get hold of a second hand entry-level digital SLR, something along the lines of a Canon 350d (Digital Rebel). I think the S6000fd is more of a souped-up point and shoot camera. It will be better than your current one but won't give you as much control as a proper SLR would.

Of course it all depends how much of a leap you're looking to take, but I think a DSLR will give you more scope for learning and improvement.

Pete

what about this one? I have a friend who works at FutureShop and I'm betting anything she'd get a great at cost deal for me.

Nikon 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm Zoom-Nikkor Lens (D40x)

The D40X is a great camera too. In fact my sister very nearly bought one just the other day - it was a toss up between the D40X and the 400D (Rebel XTi). In the end the thing that swung it was the fact that I've got a Canon so we could swap lenses etc, but the D40X is on a par with it.

I say go for it - it's a really good camera and there are plenty of good deals around, it should keep you entertained for many years to come!

Pete

well I've emailed her asking her to check what her employee cost would be...I'll have to wait and see what she comes back with.

You might also look at the regular D40... about the only major difference is 4mp.

^I will agree. I have the D40x and it's great for me but then I'm going back to school to get my BFA with an emphasis in digital photography so the extra 4.1 mp meant something. I think you would do just as well with what you plan to use it for to get the D40 and the lenses are the same between the 2. You'd save a few hundred $$$ that way, plus that extra money could go to lenses!!!

Thats good to know, thank you! I talked to my Sister in law, she's going to check and see what her cost is on the D40X...she bought a brand new fridge from Futureshop for under $500, so there's hope that I could get that sort of price on the D40X....here's hoping!

ok...so I talked to my sister in law, the D40 retails for $699.99 Canadian, as I am in Ontario. Her price for it is $549.99. Thats $150 off, definately worth thinking about!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back