Looking for budding Live Music Photographers-Intern

No one who works for LGS is paid monetarily. All operating expenses are mine,

LGS was approached a student in Boston, MA . She needed to do an internship in photography. She has learned how to prepare her post in WP, cover social media and work with the promoters I supplied. It is an opportunity for prospective music photographers to get into shows with credentials and experience the "3 songs , no flash" world. LGS is connected with some big promoters (Live Nation). It is difficult to get your foot in the door.

The post for an intern was made by our current CA intern as part of her internship....

Not looking for unpaid labor.

Last edited:
upload_2015-12-1_10-11-16.png

If the 'intern' produces benefit to the company, such as content for your site, that would be produced by an employee, it's against the federal law.

I post on The Photo Forum for the first time in over a year and you take time to be negative. Looking at my past posts I remember how many people they are here such as yourself. It is too bad. I have met fantastic people who offer help.

LGS is a non-profit (hobby if you must) concert website that helps venues, artists and now would be photographers. Traveler I do not understand your need to be negative? We do not receive $ or make benefits. LGS is helping others. Is that not the same as people posting photos here?

Have a peaceful day

I think it's reality, not negativity. You can't say it's a nonprofit either unless it's registered as such.

I'm not sure what the intention is but it seems like wanting people to work for free. I would expect the response might be people with cameras who just want to get credentials and get in concerts free.

What online publication is this for?? it's mentioned but I didn't see exactly who a photographer would be shooting for.... your website? Is LGS a registered business? There are sponsors listed and a store so it appears you're making money. How do you consider your photographers and writers to be professionals if they're not being paid?

And intern for _____?? what, exactly? It mentions being enrolled in a related field of study - what and where? I don't think you can offer that without going thru specific schools to meet their requirements for internships etc.

This seems questionable that it's a legit internship, even if the intention is to provide that type opportunity. (edit - Now I see, the store is your ebay listings, so that seems like you're making money from the site and want people to work for you unpaid.)

Last edited:
I would reframe the offer as something besides an internship. You're offering something that's hard to come by, which is photo access to larger concerts held by promoters of bands of at least some notoriety...so, it's a good opportunity for photographers.

upload_2015-12-1_18-8-45.png

Once you, as an employer, mention that you have an 'intern', according to federal wage law, you incur certain responsibilities to that intern.
If you use that 'intern' for the benefit of the company, i.e. own the copyrights as a work for hire or sell the photos, ask them to do work that would ordinarily be done by a employee, this breaches the definition of 'intern' and you become liable.
So your 'intern' could sue you, recover unpaid minimum wage and any profits you might make from the pictures.
If your intern hurts themselves or hurts someone else, then you as the employer become liable.

This looks like a want-photographer-to-work-for-free - and bring your own equipment -that occurs too often.
You are asking people to work for exposure and experience.

I post on The Photo Forum for the first time in over a year and you take time to be negative. Looking at my past posts I remember how many people they are here such as yourself. It is too bad. I have met fantastic people who offer help.

LGS is a non-profit (hobby if you must) concert website that helps venues, artists and now would be photographers. Traveler I do not understand your need to be negative? We do not receive $ or make benefits. LGS is helping others. Is that not the same as people posting photos here?

Have a peaceful day

If you present yourself as a someone who offers an internshop, you will be seen as an employer, whether you want to be or not.
I took the time to be truthful.
Because you don't like what I said, you see it as negative.

It seems more like you are looking for unpaid labor to populate your web site.

6 Legal Requirements For Unpaid Internship Programs

I think it's reality, not negativity. You can't say it's a nonprofit either unless it's registered as such.

I included the LGS link in post and signature:
LiveGigShots.com | Live Music Photography

I'm not sure what the intention is but it seems like wanting people to work for free. I would expect the response might be people with cameras who just want to get credentials and get in concerts free.

What online publication is this for?? it's mentioned but I didn't see exactly who a photographer would be shooting for.... your website? Is LGS a registered business? There are sponsors listed and a store so it appears you're making money. How do you consider your photographers and writers to be professionals if they're not being paid?

And intern for _____?? what, exactly? It mentions being enrolled in a related field of study - what and where? I don't think you can offer that without going thru specific schools to meet their requirements for internships etc.

This seems questionable that it's a legit internship, even if the intention is to provide that type opportunity. (edit - Now I see, the store is your ebay listings, so that seems like you're making money from the site and want people to work for you unpaid.)

The term "internship" came from the college and is offered to people who are enrolled in school only as the LGS post states. I am working with 2 universities as of today.

All promoters are aware of the program/shooter. (I know them personally)

The eBay store helps me to pay for hosting, etc. I appreciate everyone's concern. I feared it would be torn apart, should of listened to my instincts.-

Consider this a conclusion...Keeping it Real
Be kind whenever possible. It is always Possible.
Dalai Lami

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back