Looking for C&C from my first shoot with new umbrella kit

kylehess10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylehessphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got myself an umbrella lighting kit and I gave it my first try yesterday for my friends' senior portraits. I'm looking for some C&C so I can get some advice for if I'm positioning the lighting right, using the right amount of power, etc.

Nikon D90
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
SB600 flash through translucent umbrella (diffuser on the flash as well)

5242964769_aed25e6c33_b.jpg

5243567368_3dd6706077_b.jpg

5245100881_58d5b7fc52_b.jpg

5245091003_d87ba9c2e9_b.jpg

Overall, I think these are nicely done. My only complaint (common to 1, 2 and 3) is that because of her hair colour and choice of top, there's a large, deep shadow which really needed a kicker to illuminate properly. I think a regular speedlight on manual at low power close behind her head would have helped to eliminate this.

Overall, I think these are nicely done. My only complaint (common to 1, 2 and 3) is that because of her hair colour and choice of top, there's a large, deep shadow which really needed a kicker to illuminate properly. I think a regular speedlight on manual at low power close behind her head would have helped to eliminate this.

I do see what you mean. I plan on getting an additional flash soon to fix issues like that. I appreciate your input!

...SB600 flash through translucent umbrella (diffuser on the flash as well)
What kind of diffuser? The built-in wide angle diffuser, or a Sto-fen like diffuser?

And why use a diffuser?

Have you studied the various portraiture lighting styes?

Butterfly

I didn't read this correctly at first; one diffuser (either the umbrella, the Sto-fen style or the SB-600's diffuser "cap") is enough.

Yes, it's the diffuser cap....just one of the cheap ones off eBay from Hong Kong sellers. And thanks for the link....my class studied all those types of lighting techniques but I completely forgot all of it.

Pretty good overall. Like tirediron said, a secondary flash unit to help separate her would have elevated the first photo...like on #1, where her hair blends in to the background. The way her hair is separated on shot #2 by the natural sky light and the slow shutter speed is a great example of how much more three-dimensional a separation/rim/hair light (all three are subtly different things) can make photos. The cute subject helps these quite a bit too, but sometimes makes it hard to spot flaws in technique or technicals. For a first time, these are quite good!

wow, these make me want to make a move on getting the umbrella kit. I especially like #1. Do you mind if I ask what kit you went with?

can I ask what you did to bypass the on camera flash? tape?

Read this again "diffuser on the flash as well" is the the camera (commander)?

Last edited:
on #4 the sunlight blows out her hand and spills over onto her face. perhaps if you would have had her sit on the section of fence in the background instead it would have acted more on just her hair and not spilled over.

beautiful shots though

Most reactions

New Topics

Back