Looking for C&C: Portrait Critique.

Scarlett7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been working with a model here in Bucharest, experimenting with different styles.
Would love to her your views on them and advice on how to improve.
Thankyou,
Scarlett

$DSC_0015.jpg$DSC_0252.jpg$DSC_0331.jpg$DSC_0391.jpg$DSC_0142.jpg$DSC_0150.jpg$DSC_0199.jpg$DSC_0500.jpg

Attachments

• $DSC_0353.jpg
    $DSC_0353.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 210
  • $DSC_0512.jpg
    $DSC_0512.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 233
She's got a great look! You've got good focus & exposure in most of them, albeit not the most exciting light. What I do notice is that in almost every one of them you've cropped bits of limbs, fingers, etc.

Thanks again for your brilliant replies.
Lighting was difficult and I'd spent alot of time stressing over it before hand. I don't have a flash, I've been backpacking across Europe and packed very lightly. (To be honest I was expecting to have models ask for pictures to be taken. But I'm very flattered that she did!) I was expecting some reflectors to arrive before the shoots, but typically, they still haven't arrived. Haha!
And as for the cropping of limbs + fingers - I'll look out for that in the future!

Thank you again

You've got good focus

really? When viewed at full size, every single one of these is shot at f/2.2 or faster and the majority are not focused on the face/eyes if at all.

#1 focus appears to be on underarm/tattoo. f1.8. face out of focus.
#2 shoulder. f/2. face out of focus.
#3 face appears to be JUST out of focus. f/2.
#4 focus plane is on the chest/wrist. f/1.8. face out of focus.
#5 where arms cross. f/1.6. face out of focus.
#6 elbow. f/1.6. face out of focus.
#7 arm/shoulder. f/1.4. face out of focus.
#8 hand. f/2.2. face out of focus.
#9 this is harder to tell, just seems soft overall. shot at 1/250 and ISO 200; dunno. f/2.
#10 again, shoulder is in focus. f/2.2. face out of focus.

Is it that you don't know what style you prefer? I'll tell you which one I prefer; #3. Classical styling, good pose, nice modeling light all make for a very nice portrait, IMO. You could choose a better background, frame wider, and crop her knee to make it even better.

You've got good focus

really? When viewed at full size, every single one of these is shot at f/2.2 or faster and the majority are not focused on the face/eyes if at all.

#1 focus appears to be on underarm/tattoo. f1.8. face out of focus.
#2 shoulder. f/2. face out of focus.
#3 face appears to be JUST out of focus. f/2.
#4 focus plane is on the chest/wrist. f/1.8. face out of focus.
#5 where arms cross. f/1.6. face out of focus.
#6 elbow. f/1.6. face out of focus.
#7 arm/shoulder. f/1.4. face out of focus.
#8 hand. f/2.2. face out of focus.
#9 this is harder to tell, just seems soft overall. shot at 1/250 and ISO 200; dunno. f/2.
#10 again, shoulder is in focus. f/2.2. face out of focus.
Hmmm... it looks like I should have looked more closely. Good call!

Most reactions

Back