Looking for camera for friend

Andreal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a friend who is taking a photojornalism paper as part of her degree, however she is not sure if she would really like doing photojornalism and mostly wants to buy a camera so that she can do her assignments without having to use the university cameras as they are often in use. She also wants something she can use for personal use to see if a spark awakes in her :D.

She is on a extremely limited budget and cannot afford anything near a SLR (she also needs digital as it is required for the course), i suggested looking at some of the "SLR-like" cameras out there, but there is such a ocean of cameras in this area that I am getting lost. Her budget is around US$300 although she may be able to push it a little higher.

I came here to see if anyone has any good reccommendation or has any good experiences with any of these types of cameras. Her only real requirement is that it be able to use manual setting as its is required for the paper. Any help wadeing through this ocean would be much appreciated :D.

EDIT: This one looked quite nice and is in her price range, any glaring problems? http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displayproduct/2023691__.html

note: the price is in Australian dollars where she is.

I haven't had much luck with the Kodak Easy Share series, although I haven't used that particular camera. I have, however, seen other users here recommending the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 which has a full manual mode and it's within her budget.

The Panasonic Lumix FZ... are quite good digital cameras. They have full manual mode, like mentioned above, and have an SLR look and feel. Also, they use Leica lenses, which are good.

hey i'm looking for a camera like that too, so i started this thread. Now i want to get the fz8.
there might be some info to help you out

Canon Powershot S3 IS...great camera, very wide variety of focal length available, and takes super sharp pictures!

Most reactions

Back