Looking for Framing Advice

hankejp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got one of my shots blown up to a 20x30 and now I am loking to frame it. What I'm thinking to do is to not have glass in front of the picture. Basically just the frame around the photo. Would it be best to use some sort of adhesive to "stick" the photo to the the backing?

If so, what type of backing would I use and what would you use for the adhesive. This is the 1st time of doing something like this.

Or would you just frame it without the glass? I think that if I were to do that, the picture wouldn't stay flat against the backing.

Thanks everyone.

I would put it in the frame first, and see if it will lay flat, and then if it doesn't, you could always use some double stick tape, its sticky enough but not too sticky.

You could take it somewhere and have it mounted fairly inexpensively.
If you want to do it yourself, and are not concerned about archival quality, just use spray adhesive on foam core. Be careful you don't get bubbles with a piece that size.

I could ask my professional picture framing partner for other options for you.

You could take it somewhere and have it mounted fairly inexpensively.
If you want to do it yourself, and are not concerned about archival quality, just use spray adhesive on foam core. Be careful you don't get bubbles with a piece that size.

I could ask my professional picture framing partner for other options for you.

That would be great Bitter. I would've gotten it printed on Masonite, but I didn't want to pay that much. About $170 for that size.

Thanks

The print mounted with spray adhesive on foamcore will last about 20 years. The foamcore will deteriorate and get crumbly as it gets asaulted from both sides, everyday air pollution on the back adding acid and the front side by the spray adhesive. The acid the foamcore absorbs from the atmosphere and the aging of the spray adhesive will, in time, discolor the print too.

You can mitigate that somewhat by having the print dry mounted on Gatorboard.

My partner, who is a pro framer (as opposed to Micheal's or other cheap places), re-iterated what KmH said. That's your best, cheap option, and they would do it for you for $20. He said if you want it to last longer UV glass, and sealing the back extends the life much longer. He said going the foam core/spray mount route will get you the same life out of the print as if you did nothing, and exposed the print to the environment.

Hope that was helpful.

About $170 for that size.

Ya, that doesn't sound right. I had some 10x30 prints done up. With printing, mounting on Masonite and even finished edges (so it doesn't need a frame), it came to about $50 CDN.

About $170 for that size.

Ya, that doesn't sound right. I had some 10x30 prints done up. With printing, mounting on Masonite and even finished edges (so it doesn't need a frame), it came to about $50 CDN.

Does anyone have any websites that does Masonite printing? I've looked all over where I live and no one does it. I'll have to find that website again with that price.

Thanks

Does anyone have any websites that does Masonite printing? I've looked all over where I live and no one does it

Now.... the printing isn't done right on the Masonite. It's a print that gets "dry mounted" onto the Masonite. Right now, I'm using Meridian Professional Imaging. I've been using them for just 6 months now, and am still working on getting exactly what I want. The customer service is good and the pricing is very good.

-Pete

Thanks Christie. I was under the impression that the photo was printed right onto the masonite. I got this from a guy around here whose wife own a gallery and said the work was printed on masonite. So I will have to check out dry mounting onto masonite.

I'll check out the website you provided.

Thanks again.

Yay for me. I just found out that Digicopy does dry mounting here in my town. It'll cost me $23.00 for a 20x30 print.

Thanks everyone.

Why not a canvas print instead of framing without glass?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back