Looking for ideas for NYC

TMWallace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'll be in NYC July 6th-10th.......we'll say the 9th though because I leave ridiculously early on the 10th.

Anymoo...I bought one of those fancy shmancy NYC all access passes thing that for only $50 gets me into just about every single attraction that I could want to see for FREE. Oh...and the best part is I get to skip ahead to the front of the line. We all know that I hate waiting.

Now below are some of the ideas that I have. The thing is, though...these are all ideas that you always see done. I want to go OFF THE BEATEN PATH. I'm looking for those spots that most people don't know about.

So here are the ideas that I've had where I MU
ST get GREATTT shots--
- Statue of liberty

- Empire State Building (lobby and observation decks)

- Brooklyn Bridge - Shots from the walkways but even more so with he bridge in the foreground and Manhattan backdropping it.

- Central park - Gapstow bridge...belvadere castle

- Times Square

I've seen really nice scenes of bokeh of Times Square in the back of tiny miniature pictures held in people's hands or sat on a bench or something. Not very much help, I don't go there often, sorry, but everything I've seen is really cute.

Also, Strawberry Fields at... 57th or 47th? street? in Central Park. : )

Tyler
Here are some logistics for you to think about as well as the photographic side of it.

So here are the ideas that I've had where I MUST get GREATTT shots--

4 hours- Statue of liberty

3 hours (depending on traffic)- Empire State Building (lobby and observation decks)

4 hours (depending on how you shoot the bridge)- Brooklyn Bridge - Shots from the walkways but even more so with he bridge in the foreground and Manhattan backdropping it.

4 hours (CP is a lot bigger than most people realize)- Central park - Gapstow bridge...belvadere castle

2 hours (a relatively small area)- Times Square

1. Remember, it is summer time and the tourists will be out in droves.
2. Traffic can be a nightmare
3. Weather will have a large impact on your short trip - either rain or temperature - SUN
4. Bring lots of patience with you, you will need it
5. Water is very important this time of year. Remember most everything in NYC will be much more costly than back in Texas.
6. Try to figure out your traveling route or routine. How are you going to get around? If you are renting a car, get a GPS with it. It will save you a day of traveling for every 4 days here.

Where are you staying? - in the city or outside the city

Early mornings (6am) will be good times to BE AT THE SITE, because it will give you time to work before the crowds arrive. The sun will already be up by then. This may mean getting up around 4am.

Shooting the city at night is just awesome. if you can shoot the Brooklyn Bridge late in the day and then go back to the Brooklyn side and capture the city as the sun goes down (right now the sun is setting around 8pm.

Good luck, have fun, ignore (does not mean be rude) other people and get your shots.

Manhatten is basically where you are headed - there are no, I mean no off the beaten path areas in Manhatten. There will be approximately 7,000,000 people there with you. ;)

Last edited:
pbelarge is right; logistics are a big part of it. It may be prudent to spend a day downtown, a day in midtown (maybe even one day on 42nd street alone, going from Times Square, NYPL, Grand Central, Chrysler Building & U.N) and half a day in CP. In Manhattan it is hard to go off on the beaten path. I just try to find a different angle from which the landmark hasn't been seen before.However, I took a photo recently of the Woolworth Building framed between the arch of the Municipal Building, about a week later I saw a 80+ yr old postcard with the same angle.

I was in NYC in the spring (avatar as proof!). Some of my favorite shots were of random stuff in NYC. I shot a series of subway signs for all the different stations which kinda of work together. It's also great for street photography of people, since you'll find people from every continent, socio-economic level etc. I skipped some of the big sites you've listed as they've been over shot, not really doing anything new with some of the locations.

Most reactions

Back