Looking for my first DSLR

RU130

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took a photography class in school this past year that was not digital, we developed everything, made prints etc.. Well im taking photography 2 next year because i enjoyed the class so much. Because of that im looking into getting a nicer digital camera than what I have. I also race motocross so im looking to take some fast action shots so quick shutter is a must. I am not too conserned with trying to sell photos but would consider it. I am really just looking for advice on which camera will give me the best photo with the speed of the dirtbikes and no blur in the photo. All the cameras i am looking at have 1/4000 of a second shutter and i dont know if thats fast enough for a dirtbike? Any and all advice will be appreciated. I am looking at the..
Nikon D40 and D40x
Canon Rebel xti
Samsung PRO815
Sony A100

1/4000 is plenty fast. Most really good action car and bike shots are taken much slower, 1/500 or 1/1000, maybe less depending on the subject. Not because it freezes action, but because it doesn't. Let me explain. Learn good panning technique. This is something that will come with practice, lots of practice. Learn to keep the primary subject in the exact same place in your viewfinder as action progresses. When you can do this, the subject will be in sharp focus and the background will show movement and demonstrate the speed of your subject. A super fast shutter will freeze everything and the image can be boring. Just think about all the great car racing shots taken back when the max. shutter speed available was 1/500 or 1/1000.

BTW, the D40 camera series are great starter cameras. Just be aware your choices of lenses are much more limited than a higher level DSLR like the D80 or D200. Also, be aware that all DSLR's are dust traps, try to keep any SLR away from excessive dust.

ok so like a race car driving with a wall behind it, if i follow it in the view finder the wall will be blurry and the car will be in focus for the most part

do you have any pictures that you wouldnt mind sharing with me?

Welcome to the forum!

One thing I would recommend to you is studying closely lens options. I would also recommend placing your emphasis on buying better glass. That is to say don't go cheap on glass just to have a more expensive body. Good glass will outlast bodies and will produce sharper images.

Good luck to you!

you will have to give me a bit to look through but if i find one i will share it with you forsure. the lens does make a big difference so if you go with a canon stay away from their low end lens like stretch says. ;)

The XTi combined with a fast 70-200mm lens (f/2.8 lenses will cost more than the camera body) would get you some nice action photos.

Nice set of glass you have there lars! May I ask what lens you used to take the birch tree pic? And if you don't mind sharing the aperture that would be great. Fantastic shot there.

Nice set of glass you have there lars! May I ask what lens you used to take the birch tree pic? And if you don't mind sharing the aperture that would be great. Fantastic shot there.

The aspen photo on my web site? Thanks. I actually took that shot with a Tamron 24-135mm lens (my main lens on my original Digital Rebel) and the aperture setting was f/11.

What ISO do you use for the faster action shots? If you frequently use the higher ISOs (I'd say 800 and up), I'd stay away from the Sony model. I love mine, but if I shoot ISO 1600 there's considerable noise...but I knew that when I bought it. I don't know which of Nikon & Canon handle the higher ISO better.

Welcome to the forum! Any entry level DSLR body would accomplish what you need. I'm a fan of Canon and thats just personal preference so I would recommend a Canon Rebel XT or XTi. Nikon is excellent as well but the D40s lack of AF motor makes it incompatible with older lenses, so keep that in mind.

Here is a shot I took with a Canon Rebel about a year ago. Camera Settings: ISO 800, F/11, 1/125
croppedraceresizewc6.jpg

I was panning following the car on burst. The car isn't in perfectly in focus but this was a while ago I think I could do a lot better now. So it definitely takes practice. But its still a good example of the background blur to show motion of the car.

One other quick thing...every since I've been reading on here a lot of people always suggest to go to a local camera shop and actually hold the cameras and I think that is great advice. Especially if it helps you determine between very similar Canon or Nikon models in which most of the features will be the same.

Out of that list of Camera I'd probably go with the Sony A100, then the XTi. I shoot Canon and I'm rather jaded that the lower end models (XT / XTi) are missing Spot Metering :|

Most reactions

Back