looking for new camera (digital)

stbgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

The time has come for me to retire the old fugi S3000 and get something better. I take pictures of horses, lots and lots of horses. I do horseshows, portraits, etc.
What I need is a camera which is very good at action shots (no blurriness from movement) with a good zoom and super quality pictures.
Unfortunately for me, Im good at taking the pictures, but no next to nothing about cameras....well, enough to take the pictures I suppose.
So unload your camera loves and camera hates on me :)
(Also I don't think a little tiny camera like the one I have gives an overall impression of professionalism like a bigger camera would )

I would suggest a Digital SLR camera. They are far superior to most non-SLR digital cameras.

What I need is a camera which is very good at action shots (no blurriness from movement)
This will depend more on the lens, than the camera, although better cameras have less noise at higher ISO, which will help with this.

What's your budget?

I would also recommend a digital SLR. There are tons to choose from, but of course they are pretty expensive. My favorite brands are Canon and Olympus. Although I've heard many Nikon cameras are good, too.

budget of under $1000, although cheaper (without loss of quality is of course better.

So for better pictures a camera with different lenses would be better? (one for action, one for stills) or just a really good one for action to serve for both.

So for better pictures a camera with different lenses would be better?
Yes

(one for action, one for stills) or just a really good one for action to serve for both
A good lens should be able to do both.

I recommend having a look at the Canon Rebel XTi, the Nikon D40(D40x), the Sony A100 and the Pentax K100D.

You should easily be able to get a camera with a 'kit' lens for less than $1000. The hard part will be getting a good lens and staying on budget. I suggest the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (for Canon or Nikon)...or possibly a prime (non zoom) lens.

I also recommend the Canon Rebel XTi.

I really love the camera I have, Olympus Evolt E500, it is around 600-800 dollars for the camera and lens kit. Although they don't make as many lenses and accessories for the Olympus brand. It has wonderful color and can bring out good detail, even in bad lighting conditions.

I am currently shopping for cameras myself and I gotta say the pentax K100D is looking really good! One of the coolest things on that camera is it's ability to take every single pentax lens ever made! And there were ALOT of lenses made for pentax over the years. You can usually find some really good deals on them in pawn shops/flea markets and in wanted ads in local papers. That way you wouldn't have to shell out HUGE sums of money for a new digital lens. Plus it's got a really nice heft to it, with the battery grip on the bottom, you won't be mistaken for an amature that's for sure!

I personally though would reccomend against buying something as complex as a digital SLR on ebay! If it's cheap, there's a reason for it!!!
Check out B and H photo here - - www.bhphotovideo.com
They have some of the best deals on cameras and even have a USED section if you need to save some cash, without feeling like you're getting ripped off.

Good luck on your search!

I would recommend the Kodak DCS 14n. Sure it's a little bulky. But there's no other camera that can even come close to touching it's quality for that price.

Most reactions

Back