Looking for older dslr with video

Richard Hutchings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd really like to find a site with a list of 10 year old pro cameras. 10 megapixel is fine with me. I want a pro camera at 1 tent the price. Must shoot video. If you could just give me a few models worth looking at I would appreciate it very much.

Nikon d90. Canon 5d mk 2

Just something to bear in mind, autofocus has made real strides in the last few years. The first generation DSLRs that do video may have no autofocus at all, and the generation where 1080p finally became achievable might do it very poorly.

EDIT: If you're not set specifically on a DSLR, apparently MagicLantern is popular on the first generation EOS M, and it looks like those crazies might have even gotten 4K video out of the thing. I have no firsthand experience but I can't deny, if I find an EOS M really, really cheap I'll probably get it just to try it out.

You might get much better video from something that initially cost a lot less but is much newer, perhaps a Nikon D 3400. I don't know that there are many 10 year old professional cameras that shot video, and in fact the highest-end cameras typically did not offer video... for quite some time video was seen as a mid- and entry- level feature.

Wasn't the Canon 70D the first, at least Canon to have AF video. Not a pro camera but might be cheap.
The Canon 7Dmkll also had AF video. I used that a few times and it worked pretty well! They are in the $500 range and up. Again, not a pro camera but pretty good Semi-pro camera.
I think the Nikon D300s had video too and it's a full frame.
I'd use the Canon 5Dll that was mentioned. There's MORE after marked rigging for that camera than probably any other camera made and it's FF!!!
SS

Weird request, but okay.

Along the lines of what Derrel and Sharpshooterr said, the Canon Rebel SL2 makes appearances in my local used market from time to time below $300. It may not be 4K, but it has 1080p options and supports a lot of lenses that autofocus very quietly, and it has a microphone jack like its big brothers the T7i and 77D.

Now that said, with Canon you have to leave the Rebel line in order to get a headphone/monitoring jack, and at a minimum go with the 80D, or the 7D-II, or I think the full-frame 5D-III, presumably the 5D-IV and the 5DS and 5DS4, but not the 6D series.

Well, as everybody else in this thread has already pointed out - DSLRs are frankly poor choices for video.

DSLR have to be put into lifeview mode - mirror is up, viewfinder is dark - in order to record video. Their autofocus system in lifeview is often not that great.

Mirrorless naturally have to have sensorbased autofocus, thus video comes very natural to them. You also get the same great support for manual focus with mirrorless. Especially Fujifilm is famous for excellent support of manual focus with their newer models.

The Nikon D90 was the first DSLR with video. You can look that easily up on Wikipedia. They have model lists with markers what such a camera supports, at the end of every article about such a camera, for example:

Nikon D90 - Wikipedia

With external recorders, even older cameras, such as the D700, can already do video. Theres still a 20 min limit on recording time though. The D700 specifically can "only" do 720p.

I'd really like to find a site with a list of 10 year old pro cameras. 10 megapixel is fine with me. I want a pro camera at 1 tent the price. Must shoot video. If you could just give me a few models worth looking at I would appreciate it very much.

Dick,

I got a Canon Rebel T6 and learned to my chagrin that it doesn't have continuous autofocus. It will do autofocus, but not continuous autofocus. That is; it doesn't have a movie servo mode.
I have to shoot a short video, stop, re-compose, refocus and re-shoot. Then string these together in a video editing program. Either that or deal with your camera constantly going in and out of focus as you press and repress your focus button.
Look for one that has a movie servo mode.

Steve Thomas

For Canon, the EOS 70D is the oldest DSLR with dual-pixel autofocus, ie, autofocus that works well in live-view or video mode.

It looks like the following Canon DSLRs have this feature:
  • 70D
  • 80D
  • 90D
  • 5D Mk IV
  • 6D Mk II
  • 7D Mk II
  • 77D
  • T7i
  • SL2
  • SL3
Notably the 5D Mk III, 6D, 7D, T6i, T6s, and SL1 don't have this feature including many that came to market after Dual Pixel AF was developed, and none of the truly budget Rebels (Tx) line do either. It also looks like the 1D series don't have the feature.

Obviously if you're going to potentially buy one, check for yourself first.

Most reactions

Back