Looking for photographers who have worked for newspapers/magazines willing to chat

sunbath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not much of a beginner when it comes to nature and art photography, but I'm looking to chat with people who have worked for newspapers or magazines. I'd love to talk and ask a few questions with you guys.

I just want some introduction as for how to work or sell photographs to newspapers or magazines that cover current events and the like. Do you sell individual photographs, or work for the place itself? Please post your experience and we'll take it from there.

I'd also prefer to IM, but talkign on the forum is fine- my AIM is 'colton is a name'

:]

Bump, if I do say.

You posted in the wrong forum section. Not to many 'beginners' have worked for magazines or newspapers.

You can contribute in other forum sections, since you're no longer "so much of a beginner yourself', while you wait for a response to your query. :thumbup:

By the way! What country are you in?

I am not sure, precisely what you mean, but you need a history of progressive experience in journalistic photography before a newspaper will even talk to you.

skieur

I am not sure, precisely what you mean, but you need a history of progressive experience in journalistic photography before a newspaper will even talk to you.

skieur

Maybe in Canada. Like any business, a newspaper wants the best people to fill job slots. If an applicant presents with a portfolio of good pictures they will be considered. For larger newspapers, a degree in journalism with a strong photo background might be required.

Ah, I'll wait for a moderator to skootch the thread somewhere else then.
I'm in the U.S. at the moment.

How do you think someone would go about building up their photographic background?

Yep. Take lots of pictures. Put them in an album that will become your portfolio.
If you take any really good human interest pictures, take to the local newspaper and ask if they are interested in publishing.
Contact regional magazine and research what kind of pictures they want.
It's work, lots and lots of leg work.
Those who are full time with larger newspapers or magazines all have a different story of how they got where they are. Those of us that have been there can help some but you have to be the one to do it.
The main requirement is to be a very good photographer.

I actually work for a newspaper right now. And I am at work RIGHT NOW. Crazy, right? I'd be willing to chat if you have any specific questions or would like opinions on your work.

I actually work for a newspaper right now. And I am at work RIGHT NOW. Crazy, right? I'd be willing to chat if you have any specific questions or would like opinions on your work.

You are at work, getting paid, and have time to chat?
You wouldn't last long if you were on my payroll.

You are at work, getting paid, and have time to chat?
You wouldn't last long if you were on my payroll.

I work on an old computer system which involves Mac OS 9.4, and Quark 4.2. I have down time occasionally, which I spend on my laptop.

Good thing I am not on your payroll I guess.

The first thing I can tell you is do not be afraid to ask. There are alot of newspapers going under right now but I am sure there is work out there fo freelancers. If you have any experience or schooling or anything and even if not put together a decent resume and send it out to any and all newspapers in your area, dalies, weeklies, shopper papers, church papers antything even if they don't print too many photos send one to them anyway. you may or may not get a call but if you even get one it was worth it. I did this many years ago and got so many offers it made my head spin, I subsequently worked for several of them for a couple years before I started weddings and all because I just asked. Personally I would think this is a good time to be a stringer as I am sure not too many papers have the resources for a full time photographer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back