Looking for some C&C please!!

msgbmd2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a few photos for a friend and her newborn son. Really wish he would have been happy without the pacifier in his mouth... but that wasn't happening.

Any C&C you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

1. $Nicole Family Portrait-1-13.jpg

2. $Nicole Family Portrait-1-20.jpg
3. $Nicole Family Portrait-1-23.jpg

Wow, it's surprising that baby pictures did not get comments. Here is my comments.

#1 is the best of the three. I agree about the pacifier, but not much you could do.

#2 you cut the arm off on this one and it is tilted and makes me want to turn my head.

#3 again, you cut off body parts on this one, the Mom's fingers and the feet of the baby. I do like this one and the B&W conversion besides the cropping.

Thank you for your comments Ron! I will work on making sure all body parts are intact when I crop :)

Mommy seriously needed a manicure but I think that missing fingertips is worse than chipped nail polish!! Thanks again for your input.

You're welcome. With the b&w conversion, the fingernails wouldn't have been noticeable. After looking again, you should have shot that one portriat orientation and that would have resolved that issue.

You're welcome. With the b&w conversion, the fingernails wouldn't have been noticeable. After looking again, you should have shot that one portriat orientation and that would have resolved that issue.

I cropped that one up - her fingers are in the original :)

The light on the child's face is completely even in the first two, creating a very strong "flat face" impression. Try to get some very soft and directional light from one side or the other in future.

Not in love with the wooden moulding visible behind the kid in the first one, it's a bit distracting and adds nothing.

I'd try for a little more diagonal flow, the first two are pretty much the kid straight across the frame.

The third one is quite decent. There's some light and shadow to give a little shape to things, there's a diagonal gaze across the frame. It's a nice pose. It feels quite underexposed, there's a feeling of dimness and her hair is a flat black mass.

The light on the child's face is completely even in the first two, creating a very strong "flat face" impression. Try to get some very soft and directional light from one side or the other in future.

Not in love with the wooden moulding visible behind the kid in the first one, it's a bit distracting and adds nothing.

I'd try for a little more diagonal flow, the first two are pretty much the kid straight across the frame.

The third one is quite decent. There's some light and shadow to give a little shape to things, there's a diagonal gaze across the frame. It's a nice pose. It feels quite underexposed, there's a feeling of dimness and her hair is a flat black mass.

Thank you so much for your C&C - I'm always trying to improve!! I'm going to see if I can bring out some details from her hair in the third one.
Can you explain what you mean by "try for a little more diagonal flow"?

Basically setting the baby diagonally in the frame. Head toward one corner, feet toward the opposite corner. Anything that feels "diagonal" in a picture, the line of a body, the line of a gaze, the line of a hill, the arrangement of flowers, anything, tends to make the thing feel more dynamic and interesting.

Ah, I see what you mean. That makes perfect sense - thanks again :)

#1 is hazy for some reason, and the babies eyes are slightly beyond the far limit of the DoF and blurry.

For me the 2 B&W conversions lack contrast and depth.
IMO, the large, oddly shaped, and multiple catch lights in eyes caused by available light sources make the eyes less appealing, and pin light catch lights (#1) from using the on board flash also diminish eye appeal.

As far as diagonals and other lines of shapes in an image, diagonals tend to convey a sense of movement or action.
Vertical lines project strength and solidity.
Horizontal lines convey peace or tranquility.

Thanks for your C&C Keith. You mentioned that diagonals tend to convey a sense of movement or action... should I avoid that when photographing people who aren't actually moving?

My first impression ,on the first two. Seems like I'm looking down into the crib . Now that is OK ,but not very creative . I would suggest to make a posing stool (Google It ) and hang a solid color blanket behind the baby ........get level with the infant, use light modifiers ,even if you have to make them too .

Thank you! Now I'm off to Google how to make a posing stool :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back