Looking for some photo critique

Taybrode

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently become more interested in photography, however I've come to realize that I really do not know a lot about the field. Books and websites are helpful of course, but they can only teach so much. Basically I'm just looking for some advice or critiquing of my photos. Maybe some advice on what I could have done, or what I could do better next time.
IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3436.JPG
IMG_3324.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3104.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG
FullSizeRender_1.jpg
IMG_2665.JPG

They're ok. Some had the opportunity to be great.

My advice would be to start learning how to properly expose photographs and to work on composition and framing.

I'm a fan of the matte look in specific photos, but, IMO, I don't think any of these photos warrant this look. In fact, I think these are hurt very badly because of it.

For instance, the one of the dilapidated building. Looks like beautiful blue skies with golden and green colors throughout. Unfortunately, these colors have been stifled through post-processing and you are left with a dull image.

Last edited:
For example on composition, just a thought:

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Pretty good eye. I like the shot of the cabin a lot. One thing these images should provide you is a lesson in dynamic range. The first shot is made in a beautiful place. It is overexposed but less exposure would eliminate most of the detail in the shadows. The seascape has too much sky and the sky doesn't have enough detail. The land is badly underexposed. This is a classic example of the limited dynamic range we face with our photographic equipment.

If you have a tripod, you may want to investigate HDR which means high dynamic range. The process involves shooting a series of exposures at different values and then combining them in HDR software. Most of your shots would have benefitted from some HDR. You may want to read up on it.

I like your ideas for these but I think most of them need at least 2 things - better composition/cropping and better light. For example the one of the hiker on the bridge has too much space at the top, IMO, especially being that it's just overcast/blown out sky. Also most of these would have been better if taken either early morning or late afternoon when the light is more flattering. The shack in the field is a good example of that.

Composition needs help in all of them. For instance on the second you could have moved left to avoid the big black blob on the right side and perhaps raised the camera up to get a better angle on the person at the base of the tree.
Exposure is hurting on all as well. The person on the footbridge has potential for a nice composition but the whole thing is so dark......
I see some nice ideas but some technical problems, all of which can be fixed with some education.

I'm a fan of the matte look in specific photos, but, IMO, I don't think any of these photos warrant this look. In fact, I think these are hurt very badly because of it.

I was going to say ... these shots look like poorly exposed film shots.
Don't use PP as a crutch.
Lets see the original images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back