Looking for some suggestion!!!....helip please

MR. JAY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im still in the Learning stages but a friend of mine wants me to take some pics in a nightclub. What would be some key suggestions that would help?? THANKS

You're walking down a park path by the river. A friend asks you to take pics in a nightclub. What lens do you use?

For just pics, happy snap.

KMH I use an 18-105

I would consider a 50mm f/1.8 or a 24 f/1.8 lens for low light.

I have honestly never even seen a lens with the focal length that you listed, so I'm not really sure whether the gear you have is adequate or not. lol

Its a DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm1:3.5-5.6G ED

I would consider a 50mm f/1.8 or a 24 f/1.8 lens for low light.

I have honestly never even seen a lens with the focal length that you listed, so I'm not really sure whether the gear you have is adequate or not. lol

Nikkor 18-105.

That lens isn't really a low light performer. So you'll either want a fast prime, or a decent flash that you can use off camera.

Depending on what you're shooting depends on which will be better. If you're getting snaps of people around the place, especially moving people, flash is probably best. But if you're shooting a band playing there or something the fast lens may serve you better...

What are you going to shoot? And do you have a flash?

too slow.
it's too dark in any enclosed space for that lens.
any decent shots you get will be just luck - especially if you re inexperienced.
use/borrow/rent a 50 mm 1.8 or 1.4 and practice some.
if you are religious, pray and hope that there is a god and she hears you.

@analog I will be shooting a band and people. I have a SB-900 for my flash

Right on, shooting a band with flash can be tough.. so for that I'd recommending buying/renting/borrowing an f/1.4 prime lens. That way you can get some good shots with just the light on stage. The lens you have currently will push your ISO to silly places, if you're even able to get a shot at all.

For walking around and shooting people though, I'll hold my flash in my left hand and the camera in my right. That way you can get some creative lighting angles, and you don't have that head-on look to everything. If you have a neutral colored surface near you (wall, ceiling, big assistant with a white t-shirt), you can bounce the flash off it to soften the light as well. Since nightclubs are usually dimly lit, the white balance is usually warm compared to the flash. So if you can gel your flash with a CTO or 1/2 CTO that would be ideal. (smalls gels can be had cheap or free, since they're often promo items)

I think even with a fast prime, there may still only be enough light on stage to get ambient light shots. You'll probably still need the flash if you're walking around elsewhere getting people shots.

Most reactions

Back