Looking for some tips on low-light portraits...

mochroi said:
So...if I use more than one light, plus the ring light, I could get the picture I want? Or no? You see...I understand that no one else notices catchlights but other photographers, but I love them...and frankly, don't really care if other people notice...I want life and depth in my b&w portraits...and this is usually accomplished by bringing catch lights into the eyes...lol...I may be grasping...but I really wish this would work...

Maybe, but it would be a) complicated and b) you'd have two different catchlights.

If you like the catchlights, why not use a beauty dish instead?

Are you able to get a few off-camera flashes?

I suppose I could use a beauty dish...hmmm...ok...I'm going to do some test shots with everything I have...lol...and about the multiple catchlights...yeah, definitely don't want that! I accidentally took a few like that...not thinking about the lights I had...not only were my eyes extra big, but they were spotted with catch lights! Yikes!

I understand that no one else notices catchlights but other photographers, but I love them...and frankly, don't really care if other people notice...I want life and depth in my b&w portraits...and this is usually accomplished by bringing catch lights into the eyes...lol...I may be grasping...

Any light source (~) will give you catchlights. Most of the catchlights you see giving life in pictures are not done with a ring light. Ring light will give you a specific kind of catch light, due to the shape and position. Fjrabon did not tell that only photographers notice catchlights: he/she told that only photographers notice the characteristics of the catchlights.
However, since you have what you have, just try and see: it is the easiest way. If you were in the process of buying a ring light, you'd better buy a cheap flash (e.g., Yongnuo) plus a cheap wireless trigger. Since you already have a ring light, try it. No film to waste in digital cameras :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back