Looking for sub 500$ camera.. FUJI S5200?

Tuskir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a newbie looking to purchase a digital camera for under 500$. I have checked reviews, and it looks like Fuji Finepix S52000 is by far the best value. You can buy a new one for only 250$, and according to the reviews, it has a very high image quality (my top priority), 10x zoom, 5.1MP, and you can use different lenses. Please let me know what you think about this camera and if you have better suggestions.

Thanks,
Alex

Welcome to the forum.

If image quality is your top priority...I would go with a digital SLR camera. The big difference between a DLSR and most other digital cameras...is the size of the sensor...which is rather important to image quality. Also, those camera/lenses with 10X zoom are not made for great image quality...they are made more for convenience.

$500 is just about enough for the lowest priced DSLR cameras. Even if you stretch the budget a bit...a DSLR will be 10 times the camera that costs $400.

Check out the Canon Rebel XT, The Nikon D40 or D50, The Pentax K100D etc.

Thanks for the advice, Mike. Would these SLR cameras work like point and shoot digital cameras? I'm not looking for something professional, just something I could use on vocations and such that's not too complicated.

Yes...they can be used in full auto modes where all you have to do is 'point & shoot'. When you do decide that you want to do more than just 'point & shoot'...that's when you will be glad that you got a DSLR.

There are some cons to having a DLSR verses other digi-cams though. With DSLR cameras, you can't compose the shot with the LCD screen like you can with most digi-cams. Also, you can't record video like most of the small ones can. Size may also be an issue. For vacation, you might even want to consider something smaller...like a compact 'pocket sized' camera...of course, there are a lot of sacrifices with a smaller camera. Those of us who really care about the photos don't mind carrying a bigger camera to get better photos.

welcome tuskir,

be warned that buying a digi SLR is the begining of a dangerous addiction:
and thats not a bad thing!?

lets face it no matter how advanced your level of self controlled - once you realise how much fun photography can be you've going to have to splash out on different lenses... eventually

and on that note i couldn't recommend the D40, from what i understand its a good camera for its price but its v limited in what lenses you can use with it:- ie only the newer (more expensive) lenses will work correctly

by all means i don't intend to put you off but its worth thinking long term when you purchase your camera, not only what your interests are now but what they might well become once you've started. enjoy.

I'm new to the DSLR camera world so I can't really brag it up much YET but if my memory serves me well, I believe I read somewhere that Sony Alpha 100 is compatible with over 15 million lenses. ;)

I would have a rake around in the adverts for second hand stuff. The Ad-trader is good. Though I don't know if there are anything like that where you live, but if there is, have a look. I found a Canon EOS 20D and it only cost £380, it's better than a 350D, 400D or any of the Nikon's offerings for under £500. Just make sure it does what it's supposed to.

Be careful getting a $500 P&S if you even feel like you might get into Photography more seriously. I bought a Canon S3 IS not too long ago, and about 7 months later I got my D80 and I feel like I wasted $400 on the Canon. I wish I had saved for the D80 in the first place. (Not that the S3 IS isn't a nice camera, because it is, I just wanted more flexibility)

I agree with everyone to shoot for a SLR if you can. I'm buying my first one, but it's more expensive than I anticipated. If you don't go with the DSLR and stick with the P&S, I would highly recomment the Fuji5200. My P&S is a Fuji5100 and I can't express enough how much I love it! I wish that it had a higher MP (4MP), which the 5200 has. The zoom is awesome and the pictures turn out great! I've never had any other P&S (worth anything) to compare it to, but I will definitely vouch for it. All of the pictures on my website were taken with it. Great action shots. Have you considered the 6500d?

www.michellesphotographyonline.com

Excuse the sloppy website. I'm looking for a web designer to help me out with it! :blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back