Looking for super-zoom - Tokina/Sigma

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sigma 50-500 about $1,000
Tokina 80-400 about $500 .. I believe both are f/4.5

A x1.4 for either one will put me where I want to be as far as a zoom - so the question - is the Simga worth twice as much? I can now, finally, afford a good lens, but - I'm obviously looking for the biggest bang for my buck as I can get, and still come out with quality photos. Anyone have first-hand experince with the Tokina? - Plenty of reviews and testimonials on the Sigma, but I havent' heard too much about the Tokina... ?

tks,

r

I've not heard much of the Tokina lens you mention but I can link you to a review of the sigma :
Juza Nature Photography

Generally speaking with long lenses the prices add up very quickly, but the difference (especially at the long end) is noticeable. I would add though that none of these lenses will work well with a 1.4 Teleconverter. Optically speaking if you can stop down a little you should get a reasonable shot, but even in good lighting the auto focus is going to be next to useless - on canon you would not even get AF with a 1.4Tc whilst with hte other brands whilst you might retain it the accuracy and speed will be noticeably affected (this is even true of lenses like the 100-400mm L).

edit - also remember these longer lenses are heavy things - there is a new version of the sigma 50-500mm with OS (optical stabilization) so for hand holding it can make a very noticeable aid

I think the Tokina 80-400 is probably what most people consider the weakest of all the 80-400 lenses, which would include better lenses in the Canon 100-400-L, the Nikon 80-400 VR, and the Sigma 80-400 OS. The Sigma 80-400 OS has the Sigma Optical Stabilizer system built into it, as do the Nikon and the Canon 100-400 lenses...so the stabilization makes the lenses more costly,and IMHO, more valuable when shooting in the wind, or when slightly out of breath, or from a moving platform like a bus, boat, ferry boat, or aircraft,etc.

The Tokina 80-400 has never really gotten off the ground,and the reviews I have read of it were not that favorable. The Sigma is 50 to 500mm and is a very slow f/6.3 lens at the long end of things, which is just about where people run into trouble/problem,s with getting a fast enough shutter speed in marginal lighting conditions or during the seasons of the year where it's not really bright outdoors. If it were me, I would definitely consider the value of the 50-500 Sigma OS model for the fact that the stablizer will allow you to do smoother panning shots, and to stabilize the lens when used on a monopod, or when shooting scenic type shots with the lens stopped down to f/11 and the shutter at slowish speeds.

The problem is this length/class of lens just ain't cheap...the Tokina is one of those failure to launch type lenses...the unstabilized,original Sigma 50-500 took off years ago, while the un-stabilized Tokina languished in direct competion with the Canon 100-400L for several years, and then Nikon's later 80-400VR lens.

It is widely rumored that Nikon will be releasing its new long,stabilized 80-400VR follow-up later this year; the patent drawings are well-known. it could be a 100-500 or 120-450, the patents do not specify a specific focal length,since a lens patent is a design concept and element order patent and not a blueprint, and a lens can be scaled up or down as needed for different film format sizes. Not sure if you shoot Canon or Nikon, but if the new Nikon does hit this fall or summer, it will unleash a flood of used 80-400 VR's onto the market.

I have the Sigma APO 150-500 mm f/5.6-6.3 OS DG HSM and have been very happy with it considering the cost-to-reach ratio.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-150-500mm-Telephoto-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001542X64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277939315&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Sigma - 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO Autofocus Lens - 737101

I know there is one of these long sigmas on the for sale forum.

Most reactions

Back