Looking for the best all purpose lens for Canon T2i

mea7596

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The camera came with a 18-55 Canon lens. I am trying to decide between the Canon 18-200 and the Canon 28-135. Any suggestions??

What's your budget? And you when you say 'best'...do you really mean 'best (at any cost)'?

Any 10X zoom lens, like the 18-200mm will have to compromise image quality for the convenience of the zoom range, while keeping the lens from being huge and expensive.
The 28-135mm is a decent 'walk around' lens, although on a camera with an APS-C sized sensor, I'd prefer something like the EF-S 17-85mm. Its basically the same lens, just wider and in EF-S format for these cameras. Either way, the trouble with the lens is the limited maximum aperture of F4-5.6.

Something like the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, would be a better option...but costs a lot more.

All Big Mike said. Also are you looking to improve your range or image quality or both? If you are happy with the image quality but want more range the sigma 18-125 OS would be worth a look, it has similar quality to the kit lens but more range, also canon do an 18-135mm which is supposedly similar in quality also. If you want an improvement in quality you probably have to sacrifice a little on range so the 17-55 mentioned above seems to be the way to go, also canon do a 15-85mm which gets very favourable reviews. The big zooms like the 18-200 are not really recommended by to many

Big Mike said:
What's your budget? And you when you say 'best'...do you really mean 'best (at any cost)'?

Any 10X zoom lens, like the 18-200mm will have to compromise image quality for the convenience of the zoom range, while keeping the lens from being huge and expensive.
The 28-135mm is a decent 'walk around' lens, although on a camera with an APS-C sized sensor, I'd prefer something like the EF-S 17-85mm. Its basically the same lens, just wider and in EF-S format for these cameras. Either way, the trouble with the lens is the limited maximum aperture of F4-5.6.

Something like the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, would be a better option...but costs a lot more.

I would like to spend under $100. Thank you!!

For good quality and a large aperture (better for action shots or shallow DOF), check out the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8.

If range is more important, then look at the 17-85mm that I mentioned above. New, it's probably more than $500, but it can be found used, for close to $300.
The 28-135mm that you mentioned, might also be a good choice...but you may find that you'll miss the wide angle of the 18-55mm. That's OK if you don't mind switching lenses now and then.

It also strongly depends on what you're shooting... which you haven't mentioned yet.

I'd opt for a prime lens with a larger aperture. If $500 is your limit, look at the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, or the Canon 85mm f/1.8. Both are extremely practical lenses with a wide variety of uses. As well as the larger max aperture allowing you to shoot in low light.

Without specifying what type of pictures you tend to shoot, definitely get the 18-xxx.

I think that camera has a crop sensor, so 28mm will be useless for any kind of wide angle needs.

That 28-135 lens was made for film cameras or full frame sensor digital SLRs.

Alright now I am confused! I like the 28-135 but am afraid the image will not be sharp enough. I also like the Canon 85mm f/1.8 or the Canon 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 for the better picture quality. Anymore suggestions??? THANK YOU!!!

Alright now I am confused! I like the 28-135 but am afraid the image will not be sharp enough. I also like the Canon 85mm f/1.8 or the Canon 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 for the better picture quality. Anymore suggestions??? THANK YOU!!!

I suggest the new 8mm-600mm IS USM MACRO VC OC DC-II XR lens with EF-S mount! It'll definitely satisfy your needs!

PhillOS said:
I suggest the new 8mm-600mm IS USM MACRO VC OC DC-II XR lens with EF-S mount! It'll definitely satisfy your needs!

Does that even exist??

The 28-135 is pretty sharp for the price, but I found myself really wanting something wider on a crop sensor camera, especially if using it indoors. You could fix that by just using the 18-55 you already have indoors though.

As others said it depends on your intended use. Primes are going to give you the best sharpness and nice large apertures, but you are limited to a single focal length.
I recently bought a Sigma 17-50 2.8 IS and it is my main "walk around" lens. I really like it but it's a little over your stated budget. You could look into the Tamron or the other Sigma that Big Mike suggested. You will like the larger apertures over that of the 28-135.

There is probably not a single lens to fit all your needs and do so without sacrificing some image quality. I say just start with the focal length you will use most now, and build your lens collection as your budget allows.

I'd get the Tamron 28-70mm f/2.8.

There is also the Canon 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5. It's an old lens, but it's a hidden gem in terms of consumer lenses. It's about $100-200 on the used circuit.

There is also the 24mm f/1.8, which is about the equivalent of a standard focal length on a crop sensor camera.

To the OP-- as several have alluded to, what kind of photography will you be doing mostly?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back