Looking for wide angle zoom for D7000.

Not quite sure why your 'bumping' this thread? when there are clearly decent answers already given.

It's clear if you want a fast wide angle lens for indoors, you need a Tokina 11-16 2.8 or 10-20 Sigma, 3.5 version. The Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS is amazing, if you don;t need an ultra wide angle. The 35 1.8 will be useful for indoors people shots. if you don't need ultra wide to fit the whole room in.

Not quite sure why you care.

It really depends on what your shooting, if you are doing architectural shoots of houses you will need something much wider than 35.

This is why I am bumping. I explained what I was looking to shoot with it and got no replies.

I explained what I was looking to shoot with it and got no replies.

How did you manage to miss these:?

It really depends on what your shooting, if you are doing architectural shoots of houses you will need something much wider than 35.

I am using my 35 and 50 for the most of the situations. You will love it.

Don't get rid of your 50mm for it!!! The 50mm is so incredibly useful for a LOT of things.
I love my 17-50 f/2.8 but if you are using it for other things the lens distortion can definitely be a problem wide open. I get into trouble there often with it. I love the 28-75 a WHOLE lot more. For sports the 17-50 is fine, the distortion is rarely an issue, but portraits it's not so hot... Makes for some huge noses and bent lines. Fixable? Yes, but pain in the butt to fix all that in post. Rather not have it to begin with.

Today at FotoSlovakia expo in Bratislava (Slovakia) I had a chance to play a little with Tokina 11-16. I highly recommend you to go for one. Really solid barrel with metal bayonet. I am going to buy one. I have Nikon D90.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How did you manage to miss these:?

Today at FotoSlovakia expo in Bratislava (Slovakia) I had a chance to play a little with Tokina 11-16. I highly recommend you to go for one. Really solid barrel with metal bayonet. I am going to buy one. I have Nikon D90.

I quoted the last post before mine because it was specific. Since no one knew what I was shooting, opinions may change. Like I said, now with conviction;

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
............Since no one knew what I was shooting,.......

Really? I thought you explained it pretty well in the OP.

I was looking into the 35mm 1.8G for indoor shooting, but I think I need something wider. Can anyone suggest a good (and fast) 3rd party wide angle zoom?

So you got the Tokina 11-16, the Sigma 10-20 and a 17-50 suggested. Are none of those acceptable to you?

............Since no one knew what I was shooting,.......

Really? I thought you explained it pretty well in the OP.

I was looking into the 35mm 1.8G for indoor shooting, but I think I need something wider. Can anyone suggest a good (and fast) 3rd party wide angle zoom?

So you got the Tokina 11-16, the Sigma 10-20 and a 17-50 suggested. Are none of those acceptable to you?

I explained indoor shooting in the OP. I then explained that it was for indoor sports. Does that not make a difference? Are these lenses good for grappling sports?

I explained indoor shooting in the OP. I then explained that it was for indoor sports. Does that not make a difference? Are these lenses good for grappling sports?

Not one who is shooting sports on a regular basis, I can only say that to me 35mm would be 'wide enough'. Usually, in sports you're trying to 'zoom in' on a specific person or area of action, not the entire field. However, if lens speed in a major issue, I doubt you'll find many zooms that you would consider 'fast'. They usually start out in the f/2.8 for the fastest WA zooms, and most will be f/3.5 or slower.

You have the 18-105 listed in your signature.... does the 18mm end of it not give you enough FOV?

Not one who is shooting sports on a regular basis, I can only say that to me 35mm would be 'wide enough'. Usually, in sports you're trying to 'zoom in' on a specific person or area of action, not the entire field. However, if lens speed in a major issue, I doubt you'll find many zooms that you would consider 'fast'. They usually start out in the f/2.8 for the fastest WA zooms, and most will be f/3.5 or slower.

You have the 18-105 listed in your signature.... does the 18mm end of it not give you enough FOV?

The 18mm is wide enough. The lens as a whole does not do what I need it to do indoors though. @ 35mm the widest aperture available is f4. The gym I shoot in is very small and tight and there is not much light.

Personally, those would all be too wide for sports. I assume this is for indoor sports...
24-70 f/2.8 is the ideal. Sigma 24-70 f/2.8OS would be the second choice. The only time I switch to a wide zoom for indoor sports is for Volleyball. I keep one on my second boy for Basketball, but RARELY use it. The 70-200 f/2.8 is my go to for everything except Volleyball.

Not quite sure why your 'bumping' this thread? when there are clearly decent answers already given.

It's clear if you want a fast wide angle lens for indoors, you need a Tokina 11-16 2.8 or 10-20 Sigma, 3.5 version. The Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS is amazing, if you don;t need an ultra wide angle. The 35 1.8 will be useful for indoors people shots. if you don't need ultra wide to fit the whole room in.

He figures bump it enough and someone will lie to him?
bigthumb.gif

bigthumb.gif

You know what they say about assumptions. Did you read the thread?

Personally, those would all be too wide for sports. I assume this is for indoor sports...
24-70 f/2.8 is the ideal. Sigma 24-70 f/2.8OS would be the second choice. The only time I switch to a wide zoom for indoor sports is for Volleyball. I keep one on my second boy for Basketball, but RARELY use it. The 70-200 f/2.8 is my go to for everything except Volleyball.

The sigma is 900 though.

You're right. Hopefully you're not taking my posts too seriously because I can't get serious on the 'net, no worries my friend rock on with the inquiries
bigthumb.gif

I doubt you're going to find too many 10-35 f/1.4 zooms these days.

The sigma is 900 though.
Second choice: Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I have it. I have loved it since the day I started drooling over it!

bigthumb.gif

Very good! haha!

Most reactions

Back