Looking to buy a film camera for my Interm Photography class...

Raymond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just had my first class for Interm Photography and we students will be having to purchase a film camera to use in class and on projects.

My professor highly suggested the Nikon N65 or N75, whichever we can find.

He showed us an ad for B&H Photo that had it listed at $150 new, but I'm thinking it was outdated because I haven't found anything on their website.

On adorama, I found a bunch of used N65's priced anywhere between $70 (without a lens) and $130 (with a lens).

Any suggestions on where I can find a decent used N65 or N75. I scanned eBay but none of the one's that looked good have a "Buy it Now" link and I don't care to play the bidding game unless I really have to.

Thanks in advance!

While I wonder why those are the recommended cameras (I would go for something full manual as the N75 I use on occasion tends to infuriate me to no end), I would personally go with eBay. If you know your cameras fairly well it should be easy to pick out the ones that look decent, and always buy one you can return (not "as-is." Never do that).

www.keh.com does seem to be a great place to find used camera gear. I would also suggest any of the Canon EOS cameras that you might find.

How about a nikon FM? It's a fully manual camera with a built in light meter, awesome for learning photography. I'll sell you this one for $65:

_DSC0082.jpg

_DSC0084.jpg

Also I've found that F100's are selling for as low as $200 one bay these days, and F90's can be had for $60.... those two cameras blow the n65 out of the water.

I'll ask my professor about those other camera's you guys suggested. Especially yours djaco, I'll let you know after class on Tuesday. Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm only asking about the N65/75 because that's what our professor suggested because he didn't think we would want to deal with fully manual cameras and whatnot. Who knows... I'm new to the film world, all digital normally for me.

If you can tell whether a light is green or red (it is helpful to be able to tell the difference between a plus sign and a minus sign) you can read a light meter and use a manual camera. Oh wait you have to be able to make a line straight too...

You could also look at the Nikon N90s. It's a great camera! Here's mine with the MB-10 grip and a 35-70mm lens:
NikonN90s.jpg

yeah, if you think you want to get into it, i would suggest spending a little extra on a used f100. it was my favorite camera of all time. sadly, it was stolen in march :(

one day i'll get another...

I would go for either a Nikon FM2, A Pentax K1000, Or an Olympus OM1. Those cameras, and the similar models are pretty solid SLRs. I have the Olympus OM1 and I think its probably one of the best cameras ever made. Its built like a tank and the aperture and shutter speed are very easy to adjust on the fly.

I have the Olympus OM1 and I think its probably one of the best cameras ever made. Its built like a tank and the aperture and shutter speed are very easy to adjust on the fly.
:shock: What......You've never held a Canon before have you. Of all my SLRs the OM-1 is the second hardest to use, falling in right behind the fully manual Pentax H2, Adjustment of this camera requires the user to remove their hand off one of the natural positions during opperation, most noticable on long zooms and telephoto lenses with Shutter speed adjustments, power lever and take up spool lock release knob are poorly placed. As for it's build quality it's hardly what I would call a tank. I'm not saying it's poorly built or unable to sustain a drop or two, but the camera that earned fame for being the lightest and quietest SLR in the early seventies hardly gives the feeling of a tank, more like a humvee.

The Canon EF along with several similar bodies is a body that is remarkably easy to adjust on the fly and built like a tank. With shutter speed dial at the tip of the index finger right beneith the shutter release, power lever just above the right thumb (unique to the EF), A viewfinder display that gives you numbers information (shutterspeed (also unique to the EF) and appropriate aperture for shutter speed (shared with atleast the AE-1)) and available shutter speed priority the camera can be lifted, powered on, focused, fired and advanced in a single motion even to some one who has not mastered this body, those who have mastered FD lens opperation can do it in the blink of an eye without shutter speed priority. The information provided in the display make for exelent reference as to wether a tripod is going to be necessary right from the viewfinder, so you don't have to stop and make sure you are at a hand holdable shutter speed by looking at the top of the camera body. At two and a half pounds with standard 50mm lens and a disteinct bang when fired, that is what I would call an easy to use tank.

:lmao: Sorry I got carried away......

I was looking a an N90 a few months ago, I turned it down because I did not like the feel of it at all, but that was merely a preference of mine. If you are dead set on Nikon I would suggest the FM over the N-90, But that is only because it is more along what I would buy, not personal experience.....I don't shoot Nikon. You want a Canon....I can be helpful tho :lol:

@Battou
Your probably right on all counts. I've never really tried to shoot with a long lens, my main lens is the 100 mm f2.8 but I can see how the controls would be awkward on a telephoto. I really need to pick up another film slr for funz.

@Raymond
Really, as long as the camera you find works, has a decent light meter, and is under 150 dollars with a decent lens, it will do fine for a photo class. I would shop around.

@Battou
Your probably right on all counts. I've never really tried to shoot with a long lens, my main lens is the 100 mm f2.8 but I can see how the controls would be awkward on a telephoto. I really need to pick up another film slr for funz.

Conversly, I've never shot my OM-1 with a short lens, My shortest is a 70-150, but it's rare that the 400mm comes off the camera.

just for funz, a picture of my OM-1 next to my EF
100_3708.jpg

I have a AE-1 Program and am very happy with it. I bought from an ebay store called SLR35 (heres the store front: http://stores.ebay.com/SLR35) right now the seller has some film cameras, including 2 AE-1 Programs and a Nikon N90s:

http://stores.ebay.com/SLR35_35mm-Cameras_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I really recommend this seller because even though the cameras are used, he fixes them up and replaces any old parts and even sells them with a 6 month warranty included in case anything were to happen (not sure about his policy though) and here is his website:

http://www.slr35.com/

Most reactions

Back