Looking to buy a Hasselblad

Rinthe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting into Medium format photography. And im thinking about the Hasselblad 501cm.

I've tried to make one out on KEH.com and it came out to be around $870, most parts are in Bargain grade. (501cm, wlf, 80mm CF, a12 back)

I've also found another seller that's willing to sell the same setup, except with the 80mm C lens for $750. he also claims that his setup is in mint condition.

What do you guys think about these 2 deals? should they be cheaper? Any places good to find good deals?

I would get a mymaiya 645afd instead. Hasselblads are without question amazing, but with that budget you could get a good 645 couple of lenses and have change.

Well, I am hardly an experienced Hassleblad buyer or seller, but there are a couple of things I learned from buying three of them.

First is to buy a complete outfit from a seller, like David Odess, that can give you a decent warranty, along with the camera. If you buy from someone like that, he will probably have gone through it and eliminated any problems.

Hasselblad cameras are a known quantity: they are graded down to the nth degree and the prices are fairly well established. So, unless you can buy your camera cheaply from a private individual and have it CLA'd for the same amount of money, buy from someone that has cleand, lubricated, and adjusted cameras for sale.

With your computer, you can easily compare the prices on line from Adorama, B&H,and KEH. There are others, too, but those simply come to mind.

My first camera was a 500 C that I bought for $25 at an antique/junk shop. It had been dropped in water and had rusted and would no longer work, but it was not beaten up. I sent it to Hasselblad and had the factory rebuild it. I works just fine, but I still had about $1000 in it. It has an old, non-T* lens, which is great for B&W work.

My second is a 500 C/M with a T* lens. By the time I had it CLA's, I could have skipped the hassle and bought a decent one straight up.

I recently bought a 503 C/W with the CFe-T* 80mm lens. Great camera, but much more than the other two. It will last me until I can't use a camera any more, It was in really good condition and I plan to keep it that way, acknowledging that a little normal wear is what I bought it for.

After working many years with the inevitable Hasselblad of which I had 4 + the s/w and
Lenses ranging from the 40mm to 500mm, 16 in all .
I lost my temper with the service departement and changed everything to Mamiya RB 67 The best thing I ever did ,half the price as good in every departement much more reliable (I had four blads for a reason) , ok .a bit heavy but you get used to that , and what a pleasure to work with a sensible format.

After working many years with the inevitable Hasselblad of which I had 4 + the s/w and
Lenses ranging from the 40mm to 500mm, 16 in all .
I lost my temper with the service departement and changed everything to Mamiya RB 67 The best thing I ever did ,half the price as good in every departement much more reliable (I had four blads for a reason) , ok .a bit heavy but you get used to that , and what a pleasure to work with a sensible format.
As to which one takes the better pictures , What chef cooks the best food or is it his pots @ pans that make the difference.
All the best Phillip McCordall
Photography Lessons

Most reactions

New Topics

Back