Looking to buy a lens

FieldsForests

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am soon to buy a Canon 40D and am very curious which lens I should be looking to get? I am a beginner but am willing to learn very quickly how to use all of the functions of camera and practice (a lot) as I go hiking almost every day.

Anyways, I was wondering what lens is recommended?

My price range is 200-300 dollars CND used.

Thankyou!

Mainly band portraits (of my band), insides of forests and distant landscapes.

That budget won't get you much. I'd suggest the EF-S 18-55mm IS or the EF-S 17-85mm IS if you can find it for that price.

I'm guessing that if you are going hiking, you will want to take landscape shots...and that usually (but not always) means that you will want a wider angle. 17-18mm is kind of wide on that camera...but not really wide.

Or maybe you are more interested in shooting wildlife, in which case you might want a longer lens. You might be able to get the 28-135mm IS lens for that price. You could get a 75-300mm lens, but it would be very limiting if that was your only lens.

Isn't that lens priced at only a 100$?

I found a Tamron SP AF17-35/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) for $250, is this a good lens?

Mike's got some good advice. I would get one of the zooms that he suggested. However, if you are looking at doing some portraits, you must consider the nifty fifty lens, 50mm f/1.8. It's a fast lens and good for portraits/low light photography.

First, ask yourself why you chose Canon. You may regret your decision later. Anyway, in that price range, you can get a decent 18-55mm lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back