Looking to buy a new Camera

alektorophobia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I have been playing around with my Powershot A95 for the last couple years and it finally stopped working. I've been wanting to get a new camera anyway and would appreciate some help.

I'm stuck between the Nikon D3000, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35, and the Cannon Power shot S90.
Is there a huge difference in photo quality between the Nikon and the other models?

I want to try playing around with the manual settings, and kinda want to try a dslr camera. Would the manual settings in the S90 and Lumix be ok, or is the Nikon a must?

Thanks in advanced and if you have any other suggestions just post them =)!

Last edited:
The quality of the image is usually determined by:

1- Photographer skill
2- Quality of the lenses used
3- Camera body

So while kit lenses are cheap ($300 could get you a standard 18-55 and probably a 50-200), they are low end lenses that will affect the image quality and also limit you in terms of shooting in lower light.

If you are just looking to replace your P&S camera, the G11 is a great camera that allows for manual control over the shutter and aperture, same as a dSLR would. Same goes for the S90 I believe and many other cameras. The question though is how accessible are these settings? I had a P&S a while ago that would allow me to control aperture, but to access this control, I had to go through a menu, 2-3 levels deep, which was too cumbersome.

So ease of access of the manual controls is something to look at.

How much will a set of lenses for a beginner cost?

A standard 18-55mm should come included with the camera, but you'll probably want to add in a 200mm (or so)telephoto as well. If you shop around, you should be able to find a "kit" that includes the extra lens for about $100 more than the camera itself. If you opt out of the telephoto and choose to add it on later, you are looking at a minimum of about $225 new.

Will the standard 18-55mm lens that come with the D3000 be good enough for someone new to DSLR cameras and just wanting to experiment?

Or will the G11 be better?

Go to a store and play with a few different models and see if you like them and how they work.

Will the standard 18-55mm lens that come with the D3000 be good enough for someone new to DSLR cameras and just wanting to experiment?

I'm going to stick my neck out there, and I'm sure someone with much more experience than me is going to chop it off, but I really think that if you don't get the telephoto... you are going to be kicking yourself later. You are going to want it... and if you don't get it off the bat, its going to cost you an extra $100.

Its enough to experiment and learn with, for sure. You simply have to be aware of the image quality issues, cheap build issues and low light shooting issues that come with getting a kit lens.

Many people get the kit lens and learn with it and upgrade in a few months/years. Some decide to keep it.

But I kind of chuckle when someone asks me why they aren't able to produce the same results as someone else with a higher quality lens, after I have told them the same prior to their purchase.

Thanks for the help so far guys! I decided to just use the kit lens for a while and see how it works out and upgrade later. Also going to buy the 200mm lens as well.

Just one last question. Does this package from amazon look good to you guys

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-3-5-5-6G-55-200mm-Accessory/dp/B002MY1H5O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: Nikon D3000 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens & 55-200mm DX Zoom Lens with 8GB Card + EN-EL9a Battery + Nikon Gadget Bag + Accessory Kit: Camera & Photo[/ame]?

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back