Looking to buy a new dslr

If i wanted to buy a new lens Which one should i get. I 95% of the am shooting pictures of cars. So if you have any thoughts on lenses please let me know and if you can tell me why i should get that lens

YOu said you also will be shooting both day and night... I'm guessing the cars will be moving (not in a studio or stationary) and you wanna capture them in action? Try the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II. You'd get the range you need when in race tracks or roads and the wide aperture and VRII would be useful in low light. That, combined with the D7000's low noise at high ISO performance would be perfect.

What do you mean? Cars in a parking lot or showroom? Or cars racing on a track?

If the cars are NOT moving fast, the D90 gives you all you need. If they are moving fast, the D7000's quicker AF will help you a lot and the better high ISO performance will help you freeze the action without getting too much noise.

And with the money you save, you could get a tripod or a couple of strobes, which will make a big difference.

I probably should say that all of the pictures of cars i take are not moving. I take pictures while im at car shows or when my friends wants pictures of there cars i meet up with them and take stationary shots.

I probably should say that all of the pictures of cars i take are not moving. I take pictures while im at car shows or when my friends wants pictures of there cars i meet up with them and take stationary shots.

Ok in that case...

I still recommend getting the D5100 or the D3200.

Although the D90 has a built-in autofocus motor (meaning you will be able to autofocus old lenses like those during the film days), its low light performance isn't as good as the D5100 or the D3200. Low noise at high ISO would be very important for you because you said you will be shooting indoors at car shows. You'd get a lot of noise when you shoot with the D90 at ISO1600 and above. Plus with the D5100 and the D3200, you can get brand new models.

The D5100 has a flip-out LCD screen while the D3200 does not. IT's usefull when you wanna video concerts, but people condemn this design since its generally believed to make the camera more fragile (the moving plastic LCD screen might break easily). Low light performance isn't really much of a difference with both though.

What I do recommend is get either of the two (D5100 or D3200), and invest on a better lens and a flash. The 18-55mm VR kit lens that comes with the D3200 and the D5100 are great but you'll outgrow them very easily. Although they're a bit inexpensive, you could just use the money to buy a Nikon Speedlight like an SB-700 or an SB-400.

As for the lens, it really depends on what your needs are; will you be in tight spaces where you cant really move a lot (like inside a room)? do you require a zoom that allows you to focus in on your subject without really moving (like while spectating on a racetrack)?, etc.

Alot of times the pictures of car shows are outside but i would need a lens that would be good for tight spaces since i would have to be close to the car since people like to walk in front of you while your taking pictures when you stand far back

You'd get a lot of noise when you shoot with the D90 at ISO1600 and above.
I've got to take issue with this statment.

WHile I do not have a D90 I have a D5000 which has the same image sensor and as far as I know the same processing abilities. With the High ISO NR on I've been able to take images well over 1600.
DSC_4407.jpg

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D5000
DateTime: 6/30/2012 3:41:25 PM
EXIFImageWidth:
ExifImageLength:
Flash: No flash
SubjectDistance: 3.76 m
ISOSpeedRatings: ISO 3200
ShutterSpeedValue: 1/20 sec (4.3 APEX)
ApertureValue: F1.8 (1.7 APEX)
FocalLength: 35 mm

I've shot my D90 at 1600 ISO and over many times... the noise is pretty darn well, if you ask me.

shadowlands said:
I've shot my D90 at 1600 ISO and over many times... the noise is pretty darn well, if you ask me.

It's depends on your exposure. I have a d90 and have gotten decent 6400 ISO shots. Nothing to write home about but even at 1600 and 3200 iso, I've gotten more usable shots. I tend to expose to the right using higher iso. Of course you will need some NR lol.

If the cars are not moving, low ISO performance is not that important. Save money on the camera and get a tripod + remote control. Or a couple of speedlights. And don't forget a polarizer (CPL) if you want to see the car interiors from outside.

Ciao!

Maybe you should consider either the D5100 or the D7000. Both are excellent choices, but which one is better for you depends upon what you are looking for in a camera. You can see a table comparing various features in these two cameras at Nikon D5100 vs D7000 Compared | d5100 vs d7000 Comparison . Also, by the way, Amazon recently slashed the price of the Nikon D7000, and is also offering some special promotions such as a free Sandisk 16GB memory card - check it out at Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only): Camera & Photo

thanks for that. i actually sold my old camera last night and im going to be buying the d5100. But thanks again for that write up

i went to camera store today and bought the d5100. What an awesome camera, It works perfectly and didnt take me long to get use to the buttons being moved around. Now i need help with getting a external flash. I was looking at the
Yongnuo flash because i dont want to spend more then 100 dollars on a flash. I need one that can be mounted on and off the camera and that will have automatic modes since i dont know much about flashes yet to use maunal modes. Also i want it to have a swivel head. If you can please suggest a good Yongnuo flash for me. thanks

I like my D5100, but I do wish I paid a little more for the D7000. I too like the D90, but like the newer cameras with less noise for image quality. The D5100 is a great camera for the $

Most reactions

New Topics

Back