Looking to buy: Canon 40D - any close rivals?

wh1ppet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking at Canon 40D for almost two years now. I had an Xti for about six months and loved it.

Main purpose: earn some money with it down the line. Maybe weddings, portraits, etc. Would really really like 6+ FPS for action BMX photography.

Budget: About $1300. I would like to find a camera bundled with some accessories and a nice lens (better than kit lens). Lens can be used, camera would prefer to be new (warranty, no abuse, software).

What are some options to look at, besides eBay. Or what is a great general purpose lens in my budget?

I know this question is subjective, but I am truly lost and have searched w/o luck. Thank you in advance.

How about the 50D? It's like a 40D, only better.

If weddings and action shooting are on your list, I would suggest a fast lens. Maybe the 50mm F1.4 or something like a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

How about the 50D? It's like a 40D, only better.

If weddings and action shooting are on your list, I would suggest a fast lens. Maybe the 50mm F1.4 or something like a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
I would say the 40D its going to be a better bang for the buck compared to the newer 50D, but that is what happens when its replacement comes out.
With going for a cheaper body lets you spend more on glass which is were most of you money should be spent on. There is a huge post about putting the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VS Sigma 18-50 f2.8

I went from an XTi to a 40D. THe images are nearly identicle, but like you said, the 40D is faster, has easier functions to access, a top LCD, spot metering, and most important to me, faster autofocus. I think the cash you save getting a 40D over a 50D may be good for buying extra accessories, but if you are wanting something that produces better IQ than the XTi, you need to look more at the old 5D (slower fram rate) or the 5D mark II (again slower frame rate).

I reread your original post and if you are serious about portraiture and weddings, go with a 5D (either older version or newer). THe image quality is superior and the high ISO performance of the 5D mark II is fantastic. It will be over your budget but worth it! If it is not possible, get a used 5D. I know you want new, but you may be asking a lot. I shot portraiture with my 40D, but not sure if I would attempt a wedding with it as my only camera.

As a general rule, go with the newer model because it will probably be a long time before you replace it. Remember technology changes often. However, with that being said, there are other factors to consider, so make a list of the pros and cons of the models and your needs. Once down on paper, your personal answer may just surprise you.

Peace,

Roey.

I would go with the 40D in your situation. The main difference is an increase in pixels from 10 to 15. This is significant and will easily justify the $300 difference in bodies. The 50D also has a higher extended ISO range (which unless you need it, is not a selling point). Your budget being what you said though, it will be blown on the 50D with no lens at all!
My recommendation would be a 40D with an 85mm/f1.8. This is close to budget with a very good body and great lens for sports indoor and out and cover the other genres you mentioned with no problems.

Listen to what the others said, you are probably ok with the 40D unless you need a bigger higher resolution display...but the photo quality tests have the 40D still producing a better photo than the 50D with less pixels...or so the testers and evidence looks that way. Get the 40D and the lenses mentioned, you will be happy for awhile considering what you came from.

I have an Olympus E-410 and I absolutely love it.
DPReview on it: Olympus E-410 EVOLT Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

It got very good ratings and in the case of this review was actually preferred over the comparable cameras from Cannon and Nikon.

People never recommend the Olympus...why, I don't know. But I have loved my camera so far.

Just another option for you.

Ok, I sold a couple of things, and my budget has grown to around $1,500.

Sounds good, but it presents a whole new set of challenges. Now it seems like I can afford a used Nikon D300, used Canon 5D, and an older 1D MK II.

I would like the best camera for the money, and will be satisfied with just 1 good lens. I would like the full frame sensor of 5D, but the slow FPS is really creeping me out. D300 may not leave money for even a cheap lens, but is this the camera for me?

I want to do portraits, weddings down the line - and need to make the best choice.

Thanks again.

I still say that if you are wanting to do weddings and portraits, the 5D is fantastic. A 1D mkIIN would be a fantastic camera as well though. Killer autofocus and high frame rate.

Derrick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back