Looking to buy my first DSLR

Any of the entry-level bodies from Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony will do the job just fine. Is there an actual physical camera store anywhere around that you could visit? If so, then I would strongly recommend going there and actually picking up the cameras and finding out which one(s) feel betterin you hands. Also, since you're outside of the North American/Western Europe "We can get anything we want" circle, it might well be worth finding out which brands are most readily available in your region before making a decision. If you have to, or are going to make the purchase totally on-line, then I would suggest reading up on prospective models at DP Review; it is for my money, the best camera-review 'site on the 'net (and no, I don't work for them).

Any of the entry-level bodies from Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony will do the job just fine. Is there an actual physical camera store anywhere around that you could visit? If so, then I would strongly recommend going there and actually picking up the cameras and finding out which one(s) feel betterin you hands. Also, since you're outside of the North American/Western Europe "We can get anything we want" circle, it might well be worth finding out which brands are most readily available in your region before making a decision. If you have to, or are going to make the purchase totally on-line, then I would suggest reading up on prospective models at DP Review; it is for my money, the best camera-review 'site on the 'net (and no, I don't work for them).

not really too much to add to that sage advice except that personally, I would look into buying used if possible in your area. you can get a little more for you money on the used market, and go a step or two higher than if you bought new. there are always risks involved in buying used, and if you are not comfortable with your assessment skills on camera gear and lenses then you might be better off buying new. Some camera stores sell used gear as well, and although not usually as cheap as a private sale, they can at least verify everything is in working order and might even have a short return policy. Definitely get your hands on a couple of different models and see which one you like before you commit to buying anything based just on what you have read online.

If your going to consider Nikon, I wouldn't personally recommend the D3xxx or D5xxx series if you think you are going to get serious with photography. get a used D90. Built in focus motor lets you autofocus older AF and AF-D lenses. makes things much easier on your lens budget. You get a bunch of other features with the D90 that is lacking in the D3200 and D5100 models but I dont want to sound like a broken record on the D90. I dont know much of anything about the Canon models so I cant comment on those. you can also look up other threads on this subject and get a whole bunch of information from the canon/nikon debate. I also like Camera Comparison - Snapsort for comparing camera features. I cant say it is the END ALL authority on cameras, but it IS good for comparing a lot of different camera features as long as you don't take it as the gospel.
DxOMark - DxOMark by DxO Labs is also another good camera review site as far as the sensors and image quality goes.
your just going to have to do some footwork and some research for yourself. don't let some schmucks on the internet tell you what camera to buy.

If your going to consider Nikon, I wouldn't personally recommend the D3xxx or D5xxx series if you think you are going to get serious with photography. get a used D90. Built in focus motor lets you autofocus older AF and AF-D lenses. makes things much easier on your lens budget. You get a bunch of other features with the D90 that is lacking in the D3200 and D5100 models but I dont want to sound like a broken record on the D90. I dont know much of anything about the Canon models so I cant comment on those. you can also look up other threads on this subject and get a whole bunch of information from the canon/nikon debate. I also like Camera Comparison - Snapsort for comparing camera features. I cant say it is the END ALL authority on cameras, but it IS good for comparing a lot of different camera features as long as you don't take it as the gospel.
DxOMark - DxOMark by DxO Labs is also another good camera review site as far as the sensors and image quality goes.
your just going to have to do some footwork and some research for yourself. don't let some schmucks on the internet tell you what camera to buy.

This website doesn't have Nikon D90 in the list.

Best entry-level digital SLR cameras - CNET Reviews

However, D90 is expensive, If I buy that I won't be able to buy tripod, backpack and any extra lenses with that. I think D3200, D5100 and Canon 550, 600D are good choices, They have basic controls and are good value for money too.

Good suggestions guys :)

Can anyone help me select one from these?
Canon 550D
Nikon D3200
Canon 600D
Nikon D5100

I'm a Nikon guy so I'm going to compare the D3200 and the D5100. I also own both a D3100 (my first awesome camera) and a D7000 (given to me after a while); I still shoot with my D3100 nevertheless.

The D3200 and the D5100 are both APS-C Crop Sensor cameras. Meaning, it works well on Nikon DX and FX (35mm equivalent "full frame" sensor Nikon cameras) lenses but older lenses (back during the film days) won't autofocus on either one. If you plan on buying a Nikon/Nikkor lens, make sure it's an AF-S lens. Also, consider first whether you have plans to upgrade to FX in the future because if you invest a lot of money on DX glass, they won't work well with FX cameras.

The D5100 has an articulating screen which can be useful for video and photographing those hard-to-reach areas. However, a lot of people hate this feature since it makes the LCD screen more delicate. The D5100 also has an In-Camera HDR, but this is NOT bracketing (taking multiple photos of different Exposure Values). I really don't see any use to these two features, but that's just me.

The D3200 is lighter though but almost the same volume as the D5100. It's not that big of a difference but if weight (or "mass") is important to you, then this might be significant factor to consider. The D3200 also has more Megapixels than the D5100 (24.1 MP in the D3200 vs 16.1 MP in the D5100). This, however, may benefit you as well as be a nuisance. It is long believed by the mass that more megapixels means more detail and the ability to print at higher resolutions or larger mediums; however, people have stated, and confirmed, that the more megapixels you have, the more chance of you running into some unnecessary noise and grain.

The rest is pretty much negligible. Low Light performance is pretty much the same with these 2 cameras; you'd see little noise at ISO 800, then builds up at ISO 1600.

Either camera is good, it just depends on what consumer gimmick you want. But do invest on an awesome lens and a flash!

Sarmad said:

However, D90 is expensive, If I buy that I won't be able to buy tripod, backpack and any extra lenses with that. I think D3200, D5100 and Canon 550, 600D are good choices, They have basic controls and are good value for money too.

I'm not one to use cnet for reviews. If you are buying new, your budget doesn't really cut it that much for all the stuff you want. Especially, your "bokeh" lens. Bokeh is just the rendering of out of focus elements. I'm assuming you want silky smooth bokeh. If that's the case, that will run you your budget entirely without a camera. There's some cheaper alternatives but you would have a camera and lens only. If I were you, I'd just get the d5100 and the sigma 50 1.4. That would use up your budget but would be a good combo. You have your heart set on new basic body. It doesn't have some advanced features but you can work around it by the time you are ready ( ND filters, SU 800, and using AF-S lenses.)

The camera body does only little of the work; its mostly the lens and the photographer. That's why tons of people here will tell you to invest on better glass than upgrading to a body. Also, a lot of people change their camera bodies only to upgrade from a crop sensor camera ("Nikon DX"; I don't know Canon's terminology) to a 35mm equivalent "full frame" sensor camera ("Nikon FX"; again, don't know Canon's). Your experience on a lighting and exposure would allow you to take better photographs on these DSLR cameras. To be fair, better, more expensive bodies offer you an Autofocus Motor and awesome low light performance (that means, low noise at very, very high ISO values). If you think that the Nikon D3200 and D5100's low noise at ~ISO1000 isn't enough, then get a better body.

The D90 is a relatively old camera compared to the ones on CNET's "best" entry-level DSLR list. But to be honest, a lot of those cameras only offer things a pro doesn't need (like built-in HDR). The D90 is a big brother of the D3100 and is a really fine camera with more buttons for easy manipulation of different settings. IT's viewfinder is also better than the D3100, D3200, and D5100's and it's built-in autofocus motor makes it more attractive than either the D3200 and D5100 of your choices.

Good suggestions guys :)

Can anyone help me select one from these?
Canon 550D
Nikon D3200
Canon 600D
Nikon D5100

I was amused by the Cnet review summary of the Canon: "But though the image quality and general shooting performance are top-notch, if you're upgrading to capture sports, kids, or pets, the T3i may not be able to keep up."

zOMG...a d-slr that cannot keep up with sports, kids, or pets! You go Canon! Uh, don't buy a Canon T3i aka EOS XXXD, Kiss Digital XX, whatever the heck model number Canon slaps on it in "your part of the world".

Built in focus motor lets you autofocus older AF and AF-D lenses.
Yeah, built-in Autofocus Motors would allow you to purchase old lenses like the AF-D type NIKKOR lenses. This will allow you to save money with cheaper glass. However, it's noisy; not good for weddings, religious events, or at night :)hugs:). The D7000 is one of those cameras with a built-in autofocus you can buy new; if you want a cheaper, used one, a D90 would suffice.

I'm not one to use cnet for reviews.[...] If I were you, I'd just get the d5100 and the sigma 50 1.4. That would use up your budget but would be a good combo. You have your heart set on new basic body. It doesn't have some advanced features but you can work around it by the time you are ready ( ND filters, SU 800, and using AF-S lenses.)

I also am not for CNET Reviews, unless you're a consumer. They do bad reviews of PC Hardware.

I would also recommened either the D5100 or D3200 (if you really, really want a brand new one with a warranty). Then buy a kickass lens!

that's why i said USED D90. if you are set on purchasing new, then the D90 would be out of the running. I would personally take a used D90 over a new D3200 or D5100 for the extra features you get. cameras are about personal preference, you should find them in a store and try them out for yourself before you make any decision based on an internet forums opinion. because that's what you are getting here..OPINIONS. and our own personal tastes. I like being able to pick up older nikon glass and have it AF on my camera. if you don't care about the more "pro" like features on the D90, than certainly you cant go wrong with a D3200. but I very strongly suggest you find a store that carries the cameras you are considering and really take a look at them, and fiddle around with the functions in person before making a final decision.

pixmedic said:
that's why i said USED D90. if you are set on purchasing new, then the D90 would be out of the running. I would personally take a used D90 over a new D3200 or D5100 for the extra features you get. cameras are about personal preference, you should find them in a store and try them out for yourself before you make any decision based on an internet forums opinion. because that's what you are getting here..OPINIONS. and our own personal tastes. I like being able to pick up older nikon glass and have it AF on my camera. if you don't care about the more "pro" like features on the D90, than certainly you cant go wrong with a D3200. but I very strongly suggest you find a store that carries the cameras you are considering and really take a look at them, and fiddle around with the functions in person before making a final decision.

I have one. It still suits me well.

Built in focus motor lets you autofocus older AF and AF-D lenses.
Yeah, built-in Autofocus Motors would allow you to purchase old lenses like the AF-D type NIKKOR lenses. This will allow you to save money with cheaper glass. However, it's noisy; not good for weddings, religious events, or at night

i would have to disagree there. D90 does JUST FINE for weddings, portraits, and events with good glass on it. As did the D100 before it. (we used both) we don't do any sports photography, or anything fast moving (unless the bride is running away) its not that noisy at all since we don't typically jack the ISO up past 400. the D90 is a great gem of a camera and very well priced used now. later this year or early next year I think we are upgrading to a D300s.

i would have to disagree there. D90 does JUST FINE for weddings, portraits, and events with good glass on it. As did the D100 before it. (we used both) we don't do any sports photography, or anything fast moving (unless the bride is running away) its not that noisy at all since we don't typically jack the ISO up past 400. the D90 is a great gem of a camera and very well priced used now. later this year or early next year I think we are upgrading to a D300s.

I apologize; I wasn't clear. I mean noisy like sound noisy, not noisy like there's a lot of grain on the image.

Like when the whole place is quiet then the autofocus motor would make than mechanical noise :wink:.

domu221 said:
I apologize; I wasn't clear. I mean noisy like sound noisy, not noisy like there's a lot of grain on the image.

Like when the whole place is quiet then the autofocus motor would make than mechanical noise :wink:.

Lol AF lenses are indeed louder than AF-S. I only find it annoying if you can't nail focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back