Looking to buy my first DSLR

i would have to disagree there. D90 does JUST FINE for weddings, portraits, and events with good glass on it. As did the D100 before it. (we used both) we don't do any sports photography, or anything fast moving (unless the bride is running away) its not that noisy at all since we don't typically jack the ISO up past 400. the D90 is a great gem of a camera and very well priced used now. later this year or early next year I think we are upgrading to a D300s.

I apologize; I wasn't clear. I mean noisy like sound noisy, not noisy like there's a lot of grain on the image.

Like when the whole place is quiet then the autofocus motor would make than mechanical noise :wink:.

ooooh...yea, its not quite as "silent" as some of the newer cameras are. :mrgreen:
sorry for the mix up.

Looks like there are all Nikon guys out there, Why no Canon?
And here is a Local Pakistani Classified Ad site, It is offering some decent D90 prices.

nikon d90

I think I should go for this:

Nikon D5100 with no lens (first choice)
Canon 600D with 50mm 1.8 lens (second choice)
Nikon D3200 with no lens
Canon 550D with 50mm 1.8 lens

D90 is still not looking a good choice as that is a kinda old model. Canon is still fascinating... Just can't make a decision between D5100 and 600D. And another thing, I can't afford any lens If I'll buy Nikon. I 'need' a bokeh lens.

And here is a Local Pakistani Classified Ad site, It is offering some decent D90 prices.

nikon d90

Nikon D3200 with no lens

D90 is still not looking a good choice as that is a kinda old model. Canon is still fascinating... Just can't make a decision between D5100 and 600D. And another thing, I can't afford any lens If I'll buy Nikon. I 'need' a bokeh lens.

An older Porsche will still outperform a new Taurus.
you have obviously not researched the D90's features compared to the others.
your ready to make a decision based on some internet reviews and anonymous feedback on a forum? without actually looking at any of them in person? your braver than I am then. I wouldn't make a decision between brands and models like that without first actually holding them and seeing how they feel, how the menus work, and how I like using it overall. Otherwise, you might find yourself buying a camera based on what you have read, and not actually liking how it works or feels.

Sarmad said:

nikon d90

Nikon D3200 with no lens

You'd be surprised. It's older just as the d700, d300, d3 etc. It doesn't make it obsolete. For someone who's just getting into their first dlsr, it would be a long time before you hit the limit of even a d40. You mention bokeh again. Lol....What type of bokeh are you looking for? You mentioned Canon's 50 1.8. Have you checked sample images of its bokeh? Get a camera and practice. If you want a bokeh champ, you are going to need a bit more spending cash.

My advice would be not to spend a whole lot of cash on your first dSLR. You're going to spend beyond your capabilities. A D40 and a 50mm 1.8G will produce the type of results you are looking for, and until you get camera settings under wraps, any camera you buy with a low light fast lens is going to produce the same results as if you bought a d40 with a low light prime.

D300s or D40, you're going to need to get the ropes of the dSLR platform before you produce anything to see a distinguishable difference between cameras.

AaronLLockhart said:
D300s or D40, you're going to need to get the ropes of the dSLR platform before you produce anything to see a distinguishable difference between cameras.

x2. Side note.... I actually thought about getting the d300. It's still a viable option... The AF system is awesome. It's either that or an fx body.

I'd also like to practice on video and It looks like Nikon D300's or D40 doesn't offer video.

EDIT: @pixedmic, Look, I always prefer doing all my research on internet before buying an electronic gadget. Shopkeepers 'here' have no idea about the thing they sale, And I'm not sure if the shopkeepers would even allow me to a hand's on review of each camera before buying.

About that bokeh lens, you can get an inexpensive 35mm f/1.8 or the 200mm f/2 VRII and get bokeh. It's just that, don't expect really, really nice ones with cheap lenses.

And as for your first (Nikon) and second (Canon) choices, you should also consider if your area has more available Nikon or Canon accessories, service centers, workshops, etc. and not so much about whether which camera manufacturer is the better one.

I'd also like to practice on video and It looks like Nikon D300's or D40 doesn't offer video.

EDIT: @pixedmic, Look, I always prefer doing all my research on internet before buying an electronic gadget. Shopkeepers 'here' have no idea about the thing they sale, And I'm not sure if the shopkeepers would even allow me to a hand's on review of each camera before buying.

Video capabilities are available in less expensive equipment than the D90. The D5000 is an example of this (my camera). The D5k has the same sensor and filter set that the D90 has in it. Which means it shoots the exact same 720p video that the D90 shoots. If you're really wanting an inexpensive alternative with good equipment, that is where I'd send you.

Okay, I'll be buying a camera in November - December so I think I should leave this thread and wait till then, Maybe some new model comes out :lol:.
However as everybody is talking about that built-in autofocus motor, I think I should go for Canon T3i as It offers that feature :D

Okay, I'll be buying a camera in November - December so I think I should leave this thread and wait till then, Maybe some new model comes out :lol:.
However as everybody is talking about that built-in autofocus motor, I think I should go for Canon T3i as It offers that feature :D

The T4i already came out so don't expect a T5i to come out soon. So hopefully the T3i will go further down in price as it going right now. :)

I think I should go for Canon T3i as It offers that feature :D

this is exactly why I don't like these types of threads. If you think you should go with the Canon T3i, why did you even bother asking anyone else what they think?

this is exactly why I don't like these types of threads. If you think you should go with the Canon T3i, why did you even bother asking anyone else what they think?

Sometimes a second opinion would matter especially for newbies and advanced users as well. A clear example would be if I want a 60D knowing that a T3i and T2i have the same sensor, other users' opinion would help me decide whether I would invest more for the 60D, save and get the T2i or go in between with the T3i or may be the T4i. Should these types of threads do not interest you, feel free not to read and respond to these types of thread. I certainly do not read and reply to every thread here and read and reply on what interests me and of course where I can contribute to the thread no matter how small my contribution is.

Last edited:
There are lots of good bodies (I'd probably stick with Canon or Nikon because they tend to have the largest "system" of lenses, accessories, and 3rd party support).

As for the "any bokeh lens". Bokeh, the ability to create a pleasingly de-focused background, is easier to create with some lenses than others. The attributes that contribute to bokeh are LONG focal length, LOW focal ratio, and a "circular" aperture.

For example... you'll get much stronger bokeh out of, say, an 85mm lens then you will out of a 35mm focal length. And you'll get more out of an f/2 or lower focal ratio than you would out of an f/4 focal ratio. Most "zoom" lenses have "variable" focal ratios that graduate from f/3.5 to f/5.6 as you zoom in -- not very strong on bokeh. You can buy a zoom with a non-variable focal ratio at f/2.8 but those WILL be expensive (probably nearly as expensive as your whole budget... maybe even a little more!) A "prime" (non-zoom) lens is typically a much more affordable way to get a longer focal length and lower focal ratio.

Lastly, the shape of the aperture counts. The "nifty fifty" lenses (50mm f/1.8) that most camera vendors sell for about $100-125 often have just 5 aperture blades. A defocused point of light always takes on the shape of the aperture blade. So you end up with pentagonal de-focused points that aren't as attractive as round points. An 8-blade aperture usually looks pretty good. Bonus if the blades have rounded edges.

For example... both Canon & Nikon make 85mm f/1.8 lenses (Nikon actually makes two... one has an internal focusing motor in the lens, the other does not. Nikon D3xxx and D5xxx bodies don't have focusing motors in the camera body and rely on the lens to have the motor. Nikon lenses with the motor are called "AF-S". If they auto-focus but rely on the body for the motor then they're referred to as "AF" lenses. All Canon auto-focus lenses use motors in the lens. Canon never did an in-body motor system.) Such a lens will run between $400-500.

Note that you'll have to step back a bit to capture a shot with an 85mm lens -- but you'll get very strong bokeh. You could use a wider lens, but you'd lose a LOT of that bokeh. You would get some bokeh at 50mm... not nearly as much as you get at 85mm though. I have a 135mm f/2 lens that's a veritable "cream machine" (incredibly intense bokeh-on-demand).

Don't expect strong bokeh from a kit lens. You can get a little... nothing dramatic.

The camera brand wont make any difference here (other than maybe offering you more choices of lenses). There are also 3rd party lens makers (Sigma, Tamron, & Tokina are the most common and affordable. Although there are some fairly high-end 3rd party brands as well -- but they'll blow the budget and then some.)

I'm a Canon shooter, but frankly either brand will be amazing.

Hehe, If I didn't seek help from here, I would have definitely bought Nikon D3200 or Nikon D5100, but now I think, I made a better decision.
There are lots of good bodies (I'd probably stick with Canon or Nikon because they tend to have the largest "system" of lenses, accessories, and 3rd party support).

As for the "any bokeh lens". Bokeh, the ability to create a pleasingly de-focused background, is easier to create with some lenses than others. The attributes that contribute to bokeh are LONG focal length, LOW focal ratio, and a "circular" aperture.

For example... you'll get much stronger bokeh out of, say, an 85mm lens then you will out of a 35mm focal length. And you'll get more out of an f/2 or lower focal ratio than you would out of an f/4 focal ratio. Most "zoom" lenses have "variable" focal ratios that graduate from f/3.5 to f/5.6 as you zoom in -- not very strong on bokeh. You can buy a zoom with a non-variable focal ratio at f/2.8 but those WILL be expensive (probably nearly as expensive as your whole budget... maybe even a little more!) A "prime" (non-zoom) lens is typically a much more affordable way to get a longer focal length and lower focal ratio.

Lastly, the shape of the aperture counts. The "nifty fifty" lenses (50mm f/1.8) that most camera vendors sell for about $100-125 often have just 5 aperture blades. A defocused point of light always takes on the shape of the aperture blade. So you end up with pentagonal de-focused points that aren't as attractive as round points. An 8-blade aperture usually looks pretty good. Bonus if the blades have rounded edges.

For example... both Canon & Nikon make 85mm f/1.8 lenses (Nikon actually makes two... one has an internal focusing motor in the lens, the other does not. Nikon D3xxx and D5xxx bodies don't have focusing motors in the camera body and rely on the lens to have the motor. Nikon lenses with the motor are called "AF-S". If they auto-focus but rely on the body for the motor then they're referred to as "AF" lenses. All Canon auto-focus lenses use motors in the lens. Canon never did an in-body motor system.) Such a lens will run between $400-500.

Note that you'll have to step back a bit to capture a shot with an 85mm lens -- but you'll get very strong bokeh. You could use a wider lens, but you'd lose a LOT of that bokeh. You would get some bokeh at 50mm... not nearly as much as you get at 85mm though. I have a 135mm f/2 lens that's a veritable "cream machine" (incredibly intense bokeh-on-demand).

Don't expect strong bokeh from a kit lens. You can get a little... nothing dramatic.

The camera brand wont make any difference here (other than maybe offering you more choices of lenses). There are also 3rd party lens makers (Sigma, Tamron, & Tokina are the most common and affordable. Although there are some fairly high-end 3rd party brands as well -- but they'll blow the budget and then some.)

I'm a Canon shooter, but frankly either brand will be amazing.

Going for Canon T3i, I'd buy 85mm If I can afford, But most probably I'll be going for 50mm due to low budget.Thanks for your time :)

Most reactions

Back